Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It happened this morning on my way to work. The temp dropped to -6C the night before and when I left the temp was about 0C . I should have known better as I've been riding in the cold going on 4 years now, but **** happens.

$250 in parts to get her road worthy again.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
do you keep your V outside?
It seems that you had frozen tires also ( I had a small slip also in this conditions)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow! That hurts- sorry went down. It was very unexpected as you were watching the video. I was waiting for a patch of ice or something. Must've been freaky to feel the bike just come out from under you like that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm glad you were wearing your gear! Even at low speeds, looking at your jacket, that would have hurt!

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
What a crappy way to start the day.Hope your okay.Man it seemed like the bike wasn't going to stop sliding. I had less damage when i got hit by a car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you keep your V outside?
It seems that you had frozen tires also ( I had a small slip also in this conditions)
Yup, tires must have been complete rocks with -6C last night.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Wow, heck i did not take my bike to work the other day due to it being 3 C and foggy, -6 that is fresh.

Thank's for sharing and hope your body not to sore.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Sorry about that bro! Glad you are ok. Thanks for sharing will make all of us in colder temps think twice!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Since I got my heated gear I frequently ride in these temps. Thanks for posting makes me think twice. So far though I have not had any traction issues. Do you know what caused the slip? Was it ice or tires? Bike did not even seem to be leaning/turning when it went down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only thing I can think of is too much throttle in a corner but if you look at my right hand, it doesn't move like I'm on the gas.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I did a ride at -7°C and I felt the rubbers were like plastic, I had a small slide with the back when downshifted. There was no ice.
I do pay more attention now when I start in the cold until the tires are warming up a bit..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I was riding my bicycle on a club ride near New Years day, 2008. It was sunny and about 50 degrees when we were climbing a canyon road that was still shaded at 9:30am. A group of six of us started to cross a concrete bridge and all of us went down. They call it black ice but you couldn't see it. I took most of the hit on my thigh, forearm, and then the last bit on the side of my head. If I hadn't been wearing a bike helmet I'd probably be drooling rather than typing here. GLAD YOU'RE SAFE!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I looked at the video again and it seems that the front left first. Cold tires :(
glad you are OK.
What tires do you have? How many km on them?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch!!! How did your gear hold up from the sliding action?
The jacket has some rips on the arm where I landed but the pants wear ok. gloves & helmet didn't get a scratch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at the video again and it seems that the front left first. Cold tires :(
glad you are OK.
What tires do you have? How many km on them?
BT23s with about 5k on them

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I tried to see, but couldn't make out whether or not you have "crash guards". If not, think about it, because they'd have reduced the damage quite a bit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried to see, but couldn't make out whether or not you have "crash guards". If not, think about it, because they'd have reduced the damage quite a bit.
the givi bags were my crash guard. The SW bar wouldn't have made any difference.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts