Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. a break in the dismal weather in Seattle had me hunkering for a ride.. finally got out mid afternoon, me on my Black 10, and Kevslo on his green machine.. we scoped out a road that headed out of sultan into the woods.. the pavement turned to gravel.. thats not bad.. i had been out from Snoqualmie falls and northbend weeks prior into the woods. i was feeling pretty good about the versys even with stock tires.. that i plan to swap for MT60's soon for a summer trip.. anyways.. we climbed a bit in elevation and this time of year, around here, well, that brings you to snow.. pea gravel and a weeee bit of snow..:badidea: taking a corner and WHOMPH... out goes the rear, the front head left, the rear heads right and splat, snow and gravel all over me, the bike, and part of the road ther previously had not been snow..

all was well.. bikes a bit scraped up, torn pants, bent gear lever.. barkbusters did their job.. i wish i had alrady installed engine guards.. oh well.. the bike now looks a weee bit more used than not.

so. what did i learn... that this bike REALLY is heavy.. i felt the weight as it went into the slide, and unlike prior life on dirt bikes, there was no recovery here.. snow and pea gravel is not a friend of dunlops. i guess i knew that already.. but now i REALLY know..

a few roadside repairs to bend back the shifter, move back into position the barbusters, and away we went.. DOWN the hill away for the snow..

that called for beer.. and if you dont know the area, there is a great pub on the main road at the lights in teh middle of sultan.

i am thinking its time to get the V some insurance :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry to hear of your damage and glad you're ok ... Maybe send Kawi a long letter and some pics... Maybe they will stop marketing it as an adventure bike ... I think it can be made MORE off road worthy, but not with that stiff suspension and K221's ... you're right, it is heavy ... TOP heavy ... Kinda reminds me of a Cayenne or Toureg being marketed as an off roader ... sorry again bro ... :(

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Hope things alright, how did your body come out of that spill? I will vouch for the barkbusters but i have only dropped my bike when parking but they stopped levers getting bent or broken.

Phil

·
Registered
770 Posts
Were you wearing motorcycle pants? What kind were they? Just wondering as you said they tore on just snow and gravel.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah I bought the V specifically because it was a lot less than 500 pounds (I have short legs and have dropped every bike I've ever owned in a parking lot), but with how top heavy it is... the low weight doesn't feel so low...

At least I have learned how to pick it up ;-)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sorry to hear of your damage and glad you're ok ... Maybe send Kawi a long letter and some pics... Maybe they will stop marketing it as an adventure bike ... I think it can be made MORE off road worthy, but not with that stiff suspension and K221's ... you're right, it is heavy ... TOP heavy ... Kinda reminds me of a Cayenne or Toureg being marketed as an off roader ... sorry again bro ... :(
Kawi classify the versys as a sport bike. Not an adventure or dual sport. They fix the classification right after its intro into the US. Unfortunately we Americans like to over simplify things and the marketers did not know what to do when the versys was introduced. Want to do dirt, get a dirt bike. Want a sport bike that can be taken comfortably on a some well maintained forest.road. Then the versys might be good for you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ooh, sorry to hear about your spill. I was just out on the forest roads around North Bend this weekend for my first venture 'off' road but thankfully didn't hit any snow. Need to get my V some insurance as well as I really enjoyed myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the well wishes..

Sproket.. yea, i was weraing bike pants.. Tourmaster Venture.. they did their job. i have matching jacket and that was just dirty.. all teh plastic held in place and i walked away unhurt. i dont care that it tore the outer skin of the pants.. i saved my skin and my knee, elbow and shoulder for what would have been a lot of pain otherwise..

As far as the versys being offroad capable.. it does ok.. its no MX bike or XR ish bike, but its a great little crossover.. the spill was my fault.. i new the conditions were past what the bike should handle for the speed i was doing.. but hey.. better to go down on a lonly gravely snowy road in the mountains than around cages.. my last bike and i parted ways after a write off accidnet that had my flying over a car roof, so this i see as like tripping up the stairs.. the bike and i will be out again soon with better tires... and possibly more caution at least at first until i get the rear powersliding again :)

this falling into the "**** happens". riding catagory.

i think that i need to go find me a cheap true dual sporter.. i LOVE THE DIRT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alba.. check out NF 5700 out from Snoqualmie falls.. or NF 56 out from the truck stop at north bend.. my mate took a dump on his F800 on NF56 a couple of weeks back.. again.. the snow was just in the wrong place at teh wrong time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Alba.. check out NF 5700 out from Snoqualmie falls.. or NF 56 out from the truck stop at north bend.. my mate took a dump on his F800 on NF56 a couple of weeks back.. again.. the snow was just in the wrong place at teh wrong time.
Thanks, I will check them out. I have some experienced friends who are going to show myself and a few other neophytes the ropes when it comes to riding forest roads. Having the least suitable bike with stock tires and no crash bars or gravel guard is a concern though, but I had a ton of fun and will be out there again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts