Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my bike after riding four hours earlier. It was dead but started with a boost. Problem was when the jumper cables were removed it died.

Later tested battery (OK, fully charged).

Dash lights flash and battery goes to a neg reading when ignition is switched on. ?????

Where to look first? What to test first?

Could a flaky fuel pump, or fuel injection system or other component cause this?

I have already removed all battery connections for aux additions like 12v plug and heated grips.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
If your bike start when jumped , then nothing is wrong with the fuel system or other system. It may be your charging system is not functioning as it should. Check the Sator and get your battery load tested.

Sometime , when a dead battery is charged they do tend to hold charge for a few minutes, then it drains off. So best to load test your battery. On the Sator/Alternator check for current (AC) on all 3 phases.

My take , your Sator is cooked. Keep informed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the battery was already charged, but the bike wouldn't run without the jumpers attached, that sounds more like something other than the stator. I thought the bike should run for a little while on the battery alone. Fastoman knows better than me though.

·
Administrator
8,847 Posts
Went to start my bike after riding four hours earlier. It was dead but started with a boost. Problem was when the jumper cables were removed it died.

Later tested battery (OK, fully charged).

Dash lights flash and battery goes to a neg reading when ignition is switched on. ?????

Where to look first? What to test first?

Could a flaky fuel pump, or fuel injection system or other component cause this?

I have already removed all battery connections for aux additions like 12v plug and heated grips.
First check your battery,my money says your battery is toast, you have a MK-2 650. I would suggest disconnecting your battery, take your booster cables from the booster battery, if it is a car, do not start the car. Measure the battery voltage. Key on the bike with the booster battery connected and the meter connected, note the VDC before keying on, after keying on,l then start the bike, run the bike up to 3000 RPM after about 3 minutes, provided the voltage after starting is greater than the VDC before Keying on, note the VDC at 3000 RPM after about 30 seconds. There should be a gain of 0.5 to 1.0 VDC above the keyed off VDC of the booster source, if so, get yourself a new Yuasa battery.

If different, post your results. FYI , if after starting , the booster source continues to drop, that is goes below 12.5 VDC , you have other problems. That is easily solved, just no point in explaining how to fix a problem that doesn't exist yet.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
It was dead but started with a boost. Problem was when the jumper cables were removed it died.

When my Versys 650 did that same thing it was the battery. Replaced with a new one and problem was solved..

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
If the battery was already charged, but the bike wouldn't run without the jumpers attached, that sounds more like something other than the stator. I thought the bike should run for a little while on the battery alone. Fastoman knows better than me though.

Not actually sir, we share our thoughts and its about helping out. There are masters in this forum , and after all this year in the forum , I am still learning. Anyway , thanks for the compliments. Be safe.:wink2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts