1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
901 Posts
I wonder what caused him to go down?? Maybe some oil or sand??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dark Spots?

Looked like a few "dark" spots or areas near the painted centerline about where he went down. I noticed them during the view from the rear of the bike. Could not tell what they are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rode a few times in Austria this year. These "dark" spots are bitumen, which material is used for fixing the cracks of the asphalt. When the sun is shining, the bitumen is warm/hot and it is very slippery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That was a strange video! I guess Twisted Throttle (of which I'm a huge fan, just ask my credit cards!) wanted to demonstrate the effectiveness of the SW-Motech engine bars? It looked like a sponsored ride of some sort, based on the stickers on the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both guys work for Twisted Throttle, and I don't think the down was intentional.

Wish there was a better image of the Barkbusters. Looks like the crash bars took all the scrapes which was nice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well,if it's staged,it worked...I have been planning for some time to get a set of these...I came in this afternoon,saw this video,and got on the phone to order a set...In stock and shipping tomorrow....
Hoodlum

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank goodness for low speeds!
I can testify that despite my 36L Caribou Case (which protrudes further than a crash bar) my foot peg and rear brake lever both broke when the V fell at 100km/hr. My handlebar and front brake lever are also both badly bent. From what I've been told (the bike is being held for questioning still) the engine, frame, forks etc survived relatively unscathed. Only some "scratches."

·
Registered
764 Posts
Still didn't see any reason for him going down unless it was very cold and the tires weren't warmed up yet. He was wearing something under those leathers. Good thing a car wasn't following or coming the other way when it happened.
that is a good point, it definitely looks like the V rider is wearing a brown hoodie under his leathers. If it was cold enough to wear that then it is entirely possible that those patches could freeze over.

but yea, it seemed really weird for him to fall there, also it looked like he was leaning un-necessarily far over for that turn.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Maybe he just had to Lay'er down.........?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
This is Erik - the owner of Twisted Throttle. Matt and I were on a video shoot in the Austrian Alps with the folks from SW-MOTECH Germany. We brought all of SW-MOTECH's demo bikes to shoot promo videos with "action" shots. Matt didn't know he was going to be the subject of a video - he's our videographer. I happened to have a camera on my chase bike (pointing at him) while he had a camera pointing at me (from the topcase on the Versys).

The Versys belongs to Juergen Swora, the owner of SW-MOTECH. Matt didn't do it intentionally - he was pretty pissed off afterwards. I took that to mean he was ok. ;)

We still have access to the bike for a couple of days. What additional photos or video would you like me to take?

BTW, the turn was an extremely sharp switchback going uphill. It's Matt's first time in such riding conditions. If you've never ridden in the Alps, just the switchbacks can be enough to get you!

http://youtu.be/7bEDVpLvP_4

Hand Guards:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5467

Crashbars:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3855

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd guess for a bit too much throttle considering the near 45° leaning angle at the end of the corner. At 1:48, it looks like the rear tire is drawing a line on the road.

That shuldn't have happend in those conditions, at least not with good (non-stock D221) tires. I do stuff like that on Pilot Road 2 all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts