Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,639 Posts
Yes. It looks IDENTICAL to one I have that I bought as a "just-in-case" 'spare'.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
2013 v650
319 Posts
I know you have asked this question before. There is no way to know the condition of your cam chain just by looking at the adjuster. The adjuster will take out play in the chain caused by wear of the chain, the chain sprockets (both cams and the crank shaft sprocket), and the rub guides in the engine. Chain wear is measured at a certain length from chain pin to chain pin. My gen 2 manual doesn't give a measurement for this wear. Some of my other motorcycle manuals give me a service limit length.

The best advice I can give you is to remove the cylinder head cover and look at the cam alinement marks. If the chain is excessively worn the alinement marks will not line up with the top edge of the head. One will be a lot lower than the top edge. but that could be caused by the cam timing being off by a gear tooth also. #1 pin below exhaust mark, #32 pin below intake mark.

To replace the chain you need to remove the engine and split the cases to get it off the crank shaft gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you have asked this question before. There is no way to know the condition of your cam chain just by looking at the adjuster. The adjuster will take out play in the chain caused by wear of the chain, the chain sprockets (both cams and the crank shaft sprocket), and the rub guides in the engine. Chain wear is measured at a certain length from chain pin to chain pin. My gen 2 manual doesn't give a measurement for this wear. Some of my other motorcycle manuals give me a service limit length.

The best advice I can give you is to remove the cylinder head cover and look at the cam alinement marks. If the chain is excessively worn the alinement marks will not line up with the top edge of the head. One will be a lot lower than the top edge. but that could be caused by the cam timing being off by a gear tooth also. #1 pin below exhaust mark, #32 pin below intake mark.

To replace the chain you need to remove the engine and split the cases to get it off the crank shaft gear.
Well, In asked about the loseness of the chain (If the chain needs to be replaced due to being too stretched). The other thing is the state of the chain itself.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
47 Posts
What Jeff said. Do you hear chain slap or why are you concerned about chain wear, how many miles on the bike?

·
Super Moderator
20,639 Posts
...Chain wear is measured at a certain length from chain pin to chain pin. My gen 2 manual doesn't give a measurement for this wear. Some of my other motorcycle manuals give me a service limit length....
My "Gen 3" Service Manual gives the chain wear limit as 12.6 inches over a 20-link length (from 12.5 inches NEW).

I found the explanation that I had read in my Gen 1 Service Manual, which tells to make the measurement on the TOP run of the chain, pin-center-to-pin-center, w/ a weight (10 kg / 22 lbs) hanging from the chain's LOWER run.

20-link length:
Standard 317.8 mm to 318.2 mm (12.5 to 12.53")
Service limit 319 mm (12.6")

HOPE this helps.

:cool:

·
Registered
2013 v650
319 Posts
Did you look at your chain? Do the timing marks on the cams lineup with the top edge of the head? Is the chain rusty? Do you see any stiff or frozen links when you turn the motor to do your valve adjustment? I forgot one of the primary reasons for the cam chain tensioner. It is there so you can put slack in the chain to remove the cams while doing a valve adjustment.

Most wear on a chain will be on the link pins. You can't see it because it is inside the link roller. That is why you will need a total length for a defined number of links. Normally measured as a pin to pin distance. You may have to contact a Kawasaki dealer to find the service limit for your chain.

Here is how to check the drive chain, and is listed in section 2 of the service manual. You would use the cam chain tensioner to put tension on the cam chain instead of the 20 lb. weight.

Drive Chain Wear Inspection
• Remove the chain cover (see Swingarm Removal in the
Suspension chapter).
• Rotate the rear wheel to inspect the drive chain for damaged
rollers, and loose pins and links.
If there is any irregularity, replace the drive chain.
Lubricate the drive chain if it appears dry.
• Stretch the chain taut by hanging a 98 N (10 kg, 20 lb)
weight [A] on the chain.
• Measure the length of 20 links on the straight part [C] of
the chain from the pin center of the 1st pin to the pin center
of the 21st pin. Since the chain may wear unevenly, take
measurements at several places.
If any measurements exceed the service limit, replace the
chain. Also, replace the front and rear sprockets when the
drive chain is replaced.
Drive Chain 20-link Length
Standard: 317.5 ∼ 318.2 mm (12.50 ∼ 12.53 in.)
Service Limit: 319 mm (12.6 in.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts