Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys at 80+ M.P.H.

9K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Angus 
#1 ·
I've had my '11 Versys over 100 mph before, but not for very long. I had to make a trip down I-20, and here in East Texas the speed limit is 75, so at 6:30 pm on a Friday, most people do 90...consistently.

The bike seems happy right around 90, revs are sitting around 7k right at 90. I was anywhere from 70 to 95 for a good half hour, in relatively thick traffic. Staying at those speeds for so long reminds one of what the bike is capable of :devil: Once I got back into town, that familiar 5k buzz was back (that's usually where I keep the revs (yes, I call them revs) at cruising around town) and of course, it felt like I was crawling.

Fun stuff! I see now why crotch rockets have that forward, hug the tank seating position. The wind at close to 100 on a standard (especially if you're tall) makes you very aware of how fast you're going!

#2 ·
Switch your front sprocket to a 16T

#6 · (Edited)
16T gives you 6.67% taller gearing. Actual speed at the same revs and in the same gear is then 6.67% higher than with 15T, so revs will then be 6.67% lower than before at the same actual speed and in the same gear. Speedometer to tachometer relation doesn't change, but your speedometer will then be pretty accurate. You can then add 6.67% to indicated trip meter miles covered to get actual distance covered on a tank or whatever.

RPM is then at 93.33% of what it was before at same actual speed and in the same gear.

From 7000 rpm to 6533 rpm (minus 467 rpm) at the same actual speed and in the same gear.

From 5000 rpm to 4666 rpm (minus 334 rpm) at the same actual speed and in the same gear.

16/46 sprockets can be overkill in some riding conditions. Many have opted for 15/44 instead (4.54% over stock).

#9 ·
I actually went to 16/45, noted in another post. First, I went to 16/46 and was more than happy with that. Then I went down one in the back for the 16/45. From the 16/46 to the 16/45 the revs only dropped about 100 rpm at 70mph. Invader, don't you have to take into account the primary (internal gears) reduction to do a mathematical calculation?
Re: Buzz. Since I tend to rest my heels against the bikes heel guards, I always feel the buzz through there. I thought I'd try applying StompGrip pads to each heel guard. Didn't help.

#13 ·
My best speed was 80 mph. Any higher and I felt I was holding on for dear life. I'm still a newbie in that I've only got two thousand miles of riding under my belt. Also I was riding on Interstate 70 between Wheeling WVa and Washington PA and there were a lot of trucks, turns and hills. But I thought the Versys would be a little more stable. Everything on the bike with the exception of the MRA Vario windsreen is stock. Using Grip Puppies helped a lot.

#14 ·
Pretty sure I've had my V up to 75 or so along this stretch:
(or 39°35'19.70"N 105°37'53.66"W ) Maybe it runs better at 13,000 feet above sea level :D

Otherwise, I've bumped it up to triple digits every once in a while, then backed down just as quick. Rides nice at high speeds, but still too many things can go wrong for me to stay there.

#15 ·
Nevi, I agree. I think 80-90 is a real sweet spot with the Versys. I also ride down I-20, but mainly from Fort Worth west to Abilene. I did get mine up to top end a couple times, and it was less than I've read on reviews. I squeezed out 120 and I think most top speed ratings show @ 128-130. I'm 200 lbs and had a top bag full, so that may be the difference.

#17 ·
I'm tall and was doing about 75 the other day on the highway when some big gusts of wind hit me...combined with the already tall V, I definitely felt the sway! Given the relatively modest hp and torque I am impressed with the V's roll-on power on the highway.....not as powerful as my old Bandit 1200, but surprisingly not as far off as one might think....and the V is much easier to maneuver and live with in daily city traffic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 ·
I probably do 95 indicated fairly regularly on my commute. On a particular stretch of highway people go around 80 so just being slightly ahead of traffic to stay outside of blind spots puts me just over that. I wish the speedometer was correct so I would worry less about cops.

At that speed is when the Versys really stops loosing its torque appeal. It can handle cruising at that speed, but you can't really accelerate quickly to get out of a tough spot.

#19 ·
... but you can't really accelerate quickly to get out of a tough spot.
I know that it is not always the dogma of the forum, but I can assure you that your brakes are much more powerful than your engine and can "get [you] out of a tough spot" quite well. It is called defensive driving.

I feel the need to point this out since I just lost a coworker who was travelling very fast on an interstate and got into "a tough spot."

#24 ·
Greetings, The first thing I did to my 2008 was swap out the stock 15 tooth and install the 16 tooth, that is the largest that will fit. I noticed that I could stay in each gear when accelerating for a second or two longer. I never noticed any reduction in going from a stop to full speed. The speedometer became accurate, and on the freeway the engine was not so frantic, and quieter. It felt as if the bike should have been built that way. Get the 16 tooth with the rubber side just like the 15. I don't remember which Kawasaki sport bike it came from. Cheap and easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.