Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossed over Independence pass yesterday at 12,095', anyone been higher? For those that don't know it, its between Leadville Colorado and Aspen. Its the highest paved pass in the North America. Posted a few pics on the UK Versys forum, but for those that don't go there, here you go.

Versys did great, two up, 16tooth sprocket and B&B gear (i.e. not camping).

Got the tail end of the Gulf hurricane rain-boy did it rain.

Machog

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great ride. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get some mountain miles on my Versys. 1120 miles, all between Fort Collins and Denver. I might do Trail Ridge this weekend cause it's reasonably close and that would beat you by almost 100 feet. If I get ambitous and smoke you, Mount Evans would do the trick. Last one up buys the beer!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Great ride. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get some mountain miles on my Versys. 1120 miles, all between Fort Collins and Denver. I might do Trail Ridge this weekend cause it's reasonably close and that would beat you by almost 100 feet. If I get ambitous and smoke you, Mount Evans would do the trick. Last one up buys the beer!!!
There ain't no beer on top of Mt. Evans! Good thing to. You'd have a hell of a ride down.

I used to live in Fairplay and know the area well. Glad to be out of the winters.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Any of you CO owners want to sell your Versys? I didn't think so. I can't find one in stock anywhere close to home in Colorado Springs and the dealers here are challenging my patience and good nature. I'm trying Salida next, then Trinidad. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Oh, and I'll be on top of Pikes Peak just as soon as I can find a bike for sale!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Moto Adventure

It may be tough to get one now that the model year is winding down. Perry at Moto Adventure treated me right. They don't have one in stock but as long as you are willing to put down a $500 deposit, they'll try to find you one. They found me one last month. MSRP + State tax out the door. 970-669-5377. www.motoadventure.com

Sun in Denver had one a couple weeks ago that had been sitting there for about a month. All kinds of fee's.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey BB, thanks for setting me straight on Mt Evans. We live at sea-level just outside Seattle and were told Independence Pass was highest paved road! Just looked it up on the web and you are of course right-Mt Evans is the highest, by quite a lot more. So, my next visit (summer of course), we'll be riding up to Mt Evans.

Tx again.

Machog

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey BB, if you want to go to Trail Ridge this weekend let me know. I live in Firestone and have to be home by 5 on Saturday but Sunday is open.

Machog, sounds like you are enjoying your trip. I have seen your pictures and notes on other forums. Enjoy and have a safe trip home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gatorman, my family is making me sell mine. Only a couple weeks old 250 miles on it! Let me know! Its in Pueblo
Kevin
719-242-4609

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I've been to 12,640ft - Cinnamon Pass on the south branch of the Alpine loop between Lake City and Ouray...although not on the V :( I suspect you could make it up there, though...it's basically an rough gravel road. Might want a slightly more aggressive tire, but I don't think there is anything it couldn't handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right on!!! I will be heading up Independence pass at the end of the month on my way to Aspen for a wedding!!! I will of course, post some pics as well.
Aus,
Erik!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Oscar.45!

I didn't see your post until Saturday night. Sent you an email about doing it Sunday morning then my Stepfather passed away 7:00 Sunday morning.

Anyway, did you go up on Saturday? One of my co-workers said he saw a Versys up there, black side cases. We will definately have to hook up for a ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I drove our Versyses, one blue and one orange, over Fall River Pass, 12005 feet in July. We went to Moab instead of trying Independence Pass. Looks like a great ride for next time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BB, sorry to hear about your stepfather.

I was in Estes Sunday about 3:30. You can’t miss me, 285lbs, red jacket, red bike, yellow helmet (I like sticking out). Got you email. This weekend sucks for me. I have to move my son off to college. I’ll give you a call.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear about our step Dad.

Yep that was me on Sat, bags and all.

Its a great run up, but weekend is obviously not the best time to go, too many cagers crawling along at 15-20mph. Can be a bit scary-I'm not great with heights! Was very cloudy when I got there, only one side was clear.

But definitely worth the trip, don't go up in shirt sleeves, I had my helmet and jacket without liner and it was nipply at the top.

But at that altitude what can you expect.

I came back over the pass(began with a B, but its highway 103 great road)-turning right at the ranger station-great road. Except it pissed with rain, heaviest rain I have ever ridden in, plus lightening and thunder all around. Luckily those black bags contain some great waterproofs and I stayed 100% dry.

I'm leaving to go back home to Redmond WA tomorrow, if your ever in the area look me up. I'll be back next year, just love the riding in your state.

Machog

·
Registered
21 Posts
Versys reaches new heights!!! 14,110

Much to Gatorman's dismay I took my V up Pikes Peak 14,110'. It was a great ride. Road was dry (a bit dusty too. V needs a bath bad now) and the weather was beautiful. What a view (hey, I can see my house from here).

Left Pueblo at about 11am and still made it in time for a 5:30pm meeting in Ft. Collins. Long day on the V. Pueblo to Pikes Peak to Fort Collins back to Loveland. About 280 miles total. My a$$ was on fire by the time I hit Fort Collins non-stop from Colorado Springs. Still sore today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Versys in Stock

It may be tough to get one now that the model year is winding down. Perry at Moto Adventure treated me right. They don't have one in stock but as long as you are willing to put down a $500 deposit, they'll try to find you one. They found me one last month. MSRP + State tax out the door. 970-669-5377. www.motoadventure.com

Sun in Denver had one a couple weeks ago that had been sitting there for about a month. All kinds of fee's.
I know for a fact that this dealership has 5 versys in stock. 2 are on the floor and the rest are still in crates. I bought mine there for $7,000.00 out the door. If you buy it out of state, you won't have to pay the tax here so it would be less. If you call them ask for Erick and tell him Don Stout sent you.

http://actionsuzuki.com/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Machog-
I noticed in the very first photo that you appear to have a comfy setup for your riding partner. Can you zero in on her seat, the backrest pad (which I assume is attached to a topbox of some flavor), and your bags? I'm interested in creating a comfy setup for my wife so she'll ride with me more often.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts