Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys a good starter bike?

10K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  RockyMoto 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I'm 5'6 and about 175lbs.
I've never ridden before, but I've been two up on plenty of bikes.

Do you think that the Versys would be a good starter bike for me? :confused:
Someone mentioned it might go 1000cc in 2012, but if that's true I'd primarily be looking for a 650cc bike.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I'd say that the V is a great starter-bike, a great ANYTHING (except SERIOUS dirt) bike, but it is a little high, so you may want to check out Speedy's foot peg lowering blocks, and bike lowering kits. Here's the link:

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

Take the MSF riders course, buy proper gear and be ATGATT!

Good luck, and enjoy!

:welcome:

:goodluck:

#6 ·
At 5'6 you will need to lower the bike. Other then that it's a great place to start. You'll constantly hear the same things repeated from responsible experienced riders. Take the MSF course, start simple and practice a lot. Make sure you are in the right state of mind to be riding. Some people just have risky irreponsible behavior wired into them. I started on 600cc supersports, but just had a mind for not killing myself so it was never an issue. Be safe and have fun out there :)

Mike

#7 ·
While it might make for an OK starter bike, I prefer the learning ladder that I took: My first bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 500 (lots of info on www.ex-500.com) and I rode that for a year and a half before buying a Versys.

The Ninja 500 is lightweight, easy to straddle, nimble as a cat and fun to ride. You're a little less likely to get in over year head with an EX-500 than with a Versys.

And you can get a used Ninja 500 cheap, assuming you live in the States.

#8 ·
+1! I rode my ex500 for 4 years before buying the Versys. I think that a year or two on the 500 would be fine, as the only reason it took me so long to upgrade was financial constraints. The 500 is very forgiving, lightweight, low, and can still keep pace. All-in-all a great way to learn how to ride without having so much power you can get into trouble. Since getting the Versys, I've accidentally lifted the front wheel a few times, which could have been a bad thing had I not had several years of riding experience beforehand.

#11 ·
The Versys is my first bike, and although I'm a bit taller than you (6'2"), I've found it to be fun and still challenging even after about 4000 miles. It has adequate performance but not enough to really get you in trouble. I ride 2-up with my girlfriend on occasion and find it has enough power for that. It's also great fun in the twisties.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your responses!
A little more background on my monetary issues: I have a job all school year long.. I'll make a little over 2,000 this year (without summer jobs). I already have some money saved up which is why I'm waiting until after this year to purchase. I have no intention of going ultra high speeds, lane-splitting, or any of that. I just wanna cruise around, maybe do some touring :)
While money IS an issue, the reason I would prefer to buy new is because I don't know exactly how a motorcycle is supposed to run, how the breaks are supposed to feel, etc.
I'm worried if I buy used something could be wrong with the bike but I wouldn't know it just by test driving it.

#15 ·
Don't forget you're going to need to spend ~$1000 on gear (helmet, jacket(s), pants, boots and probably hot and cold weather gloves. You can do it for less by shopping for used gear but gear and insurance eat up more money than people budget for. Given your budget I would consider a cheap used bike. If your worried about the condition take it to the dealer to do an inspection before you buy. As a rule of thumb a bike will depreciate 50% in the first 3 years.

#18 ·
Im not much taller than you an ride an 08 with the oem low gel seat and have no issues. Any standard is a good choice as a starter bike and the versys is one of the best. However, you should take an msf course and get your endorsement before you go shopping for a bike. As a new rider you will go through a steep learning curve that does not have to include dropping a bike. However, through the first year you will find what kind of rider you are and it is likely you might want to change your ride. Going new means taking a steep depreciation hit if you decide to trade. That is a good reason to buy used. About the size of a stater bike, get what you feel comfortable. The heavier the bike the more difficult to control therefore you want to go light. No one get a ferrari as their first car. That is the level of performance of many race replicas. That is why I dont recommend them.

My two cents.

#19 ·
Agreed a MSF course will be 1st step.
Get good protective and visible riding gear like a suit, boots, etc.
Get familiar with the bike controls and ride within your abilities.
Knowing what to check on your bike before riding is equally important. Examples like tires, fluids, signal lights, etc.

My feel is for riding safe is to see/scan where you are going well ahead and maintain a space distance from dangers. Identity and be alert to react.

Be easy on turns first: Slow, Look, Lean and roll the throttle smoothly.

The v is a good starter bike and a tad tall. Lowering the front and back to suit your inseam. Good rides, ArtaxIsDead..:thumb:

#20 ·
At 5' 6" this bike is too tall for a beginner. You will be nervous enough without worrying about falling over. When I took my MSF course the cruisers were by far the easiest bike to ride. When I had an SV650 I rented a Harley Softail for a film shoot and it was significantly easier to ride even though it weighed over 700 lbs. Cruisers are easier to ride and will allow you to focus on the million other things you need to learn. Do not buy a Versys, you will be more likely drop it than a lower bike. Most important, turn off your computer and go sit on some bikes and see which one intimidates you the least. The internet is almost worthless when it comes to a decision like this. You will hear a million diff. opinions and everyone will disagree. You will have plenty of time to get a cool bike. My first was an SV650 and I wished I bought a cruiser instead. I love my Versys but if I wasn't 6"1" I wouldn't have bought it. Good luck.

#21 ·
Hey all,
I'm 5'6 and about 175lbs.
I've never ridden before, but I've been two up on plenty of bikes.

Do you think that the Versys would be a good starter bike for me? :confused:
Someone mentioned it might go 1000cc in 2012, but if that's true I'd primarily be looking for a 650cc bike.
Thanks!
Although the versys is easy to ride, it is not a great bike for a first bike. It is quite tall and top heavy. Additionally the throttle takes a really smooth touch. Not to mention that it is fairly quick. Any bike can get you into trouble, some faster than others. Take a course, buy something used, smaller and shorter. And by all means, talk with experienced friends that ride and your course instructors, they can steer you in the right direction way better than anyone here, as the instructor will actually see you ride and your ability.

#22 · (Edited)
I am 5 7 and have Speedy,s lowering, IMHO I would do what my son and many others have done,took the MSF course, then buy a used bike, my son went online and found one at a dealer, GS500, he rode it for 3 years before he got the Honda 919 new. The cost of insurance for the GS 500 was almost as much as the cost of the bike. He sold the bike for almost the same as he bought it for.
Last thing I am going to say is that you should have been a car driver for at least 3 years before going to a bike, take the MSF course, then start looking.
Also, some people may not agree with me, but a bike isn't cheaper than a car for transportation, unless you are riding a moped and live in Florida, once you factor in insurance and proper gear. I just replaced my tires Michelin road 2S on now, almost $500. The bike gets about 62 miles per gallon, but insurance is almost $1000 for a year, and that is only 6 to 7 months of riding, before the snow hits.:welcome::goodluck:

#23 ·
As you can tell, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject. Everyone is coming into the equation with their own experiences and bias. Including me and the advice I'm about to give.

I bought my first motorcycle when I was in my early 20's. It was a 600cc street bike. I didn't even know how to shift when I took it off the lot. I learned on a residential road behind the dealership - on my own - then made my way home.

Is that an ideal situation? Nope. But I don't think buying a bike that you really don't want because someone else thinks that you should start out on a little 250cc is an ideal situation either. If the Versys is what you want because you want to tour a bit long distance, then buy one. A 250cc isn't going to do what you want it to do.

If you know how to ride a bike, can be mature and responsible (and take a motorcycle safety course), and gear up appropriately - no shorts, tennis shoes and a tank top - then you'll probably be just fine.

And, I don't know about you, but I can't afford to buy a bike that I really don't want. I wanted to buy a Versys.

#25 ·
As you can tell, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject. Everyone is coming into the equation with their own experiences and bias. Including me and the advice I'm about to give.

I bought my first motorcycle when I was in my early 20's. It was a 600cc street bike. I didn't even know how to shift when I took it off the lot. I learned on a residential road behind the dealership - on my own - then made my way home.

Is that an ideal situation? Nope. But I don't think buying a bike that you really don't want because someone else thinks that you should start out on a little 250cc is an ideal situation either. If the Versys is what you want because you want to tour a bit long distance, then buy one. A 250cc isn't going to do what you want it to do.

If you know how to ride a bike, can be mature and responsible (and take a motorcycle safety course), and gear up appropriately - no shorts, tennis shoes and a tank top - then you'll probably be just fine.

And, I don't know about you, but I can't afford to buy a bike that I really don't want. I wanted to buy a Versys.
I agree with you in sentiment.

But, most people who don't know how to ride at all and start out on a 600cc+ bike on the street end up having a (very?) bad experience within a year or two. I believe the statistics would back me up on that. You are an exception and I am glad for that. I believe the OP related that they are "height challenged" and have never ridden at all, only 2-up....

Within reason, a 500cc bike (EX or GS or ?) or less can do most anything a V can do, perhaps with minor modifications (gearing), and is probably a better beginner motorcycle IMO.

BTW: The Ninja 250-it is a very capable, albeit limited, motorcycle. I had one a few years back. Not because I was a beginning rider (I had 20+ years of street riding and over a quarter million miles under my belt), but because I found an incredible deal (a two year old model with 1.5K miles on the odo for $1,500) and I wanted a 55+ mpg commuter (plus I was, and remain, afraid I will get too aggressive on a "powerful" machine if given the opportunity, as I did when I was younger--I race motocross....). I geared that thing up (stock was 14 x 45 and I went to 15 x 41 :eek:), put a bigger windscreen on it, and commuted/toured that thing all over the western US to the tune of 40K miles over the next couple of years. Never missed a beat, got me there and home every time. Yeah, it might have been a bit over-geared, but with a 6-speed gearbox and 13K rev range, it worked just fine--just as long as you didn't demand super-bike performance from it. It would comfortably hum along on the slab at 80+ all day long...and get 55 mpg doing it. Honda also has a new 250cc offering this year that I am reading good things about.

Anyway, my point is that the V is not a terrible first bike for a rider that has never ridden before, like, say, a R1, Gixxer 1K, Ninja 1K, Goldwing, etc, might be. It's just probably not the best bike out there to start out on.
:cheers:

#24 · (Edited)
I started riding in may of 2010. I wanted something I could control, and would not be afraid of dropping. I did research and found the Buell blast. Its what Harley shops use for the riders edge beginners course. Its light weight 500cc upright rider, easy to wrench, and actually fun. I found one on craigs list for 1500. It has two seat heights, low 27 inch "tall" 29 inch. So at 5'6" it will not be a problem to flat foot it. When Kawasaki demo ride came to town I test rode the versys and am saving for one now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.