Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering switching from my 2012 NC700x to 650 VersysLT...no particular reason except I get bored...nc has only 11000 miles and is in excellent condition...I like the looks and reviews on the Versys but have not yet ridden one..
Any comments or suggestions pro or con would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
pro honda:
honda has better mpg
honda would rev lower at same speed

pros versys:
no more need to remove luggage and seat just to fuel up
21L tank instead of 14L for same weight.
no huge ugly pipe on the side

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I've ridden the Honda. Boring reliable transportation with mediocre suspension. Versys much more sporty and gutsy and exhilarating to ride.

So, it really depends on what riding experience you are looking for. My neighbor commuted 85000 miles on his Honda for 850 days before deciding to replace it with a Corolla. He had side bags, trunk, and the front compartment loaded. So, basically a Corolla on two wheels.

The versys is the most sporty out of the midsize "street" adventure bikes.

Go ride one.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
...The versys is the most sporty out of the midsize "street" adventure bikes.
Go ride one....
I agree w/ "twowheeladdict". I rode the BMW 1200GS, the F800GS, the F700GS, and the V-Strom, AFTER trying an '07 V650 for a 2 hour ride (dealer threw me the keys, said "Wring its neck, but don't crash it!") while I had a KLR650.

I bought what I believed was the BEST - an '08 V650 that'd just been declared the MOTY* by Motorcyclist Magazine, and I posted that it was the BEST handling bike I'd ridden. Since then I've had an '09 that was 'written-off' after bending the frame in '15 up in the NWT [but I STILL rode it back to Kelowna over THREE days!!!], as well as replacing THAT '09 w/ a '15 V650LT. So far my TOTAL among those THREE - about 155,000 MILES!

*MOTY - Motorcycle Of The Year...!

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Both are very good and reliable. I was riding Honda on the lower CC before moving to Kawasaki on the higher CC.
chose what feels right the first time you set your slight.

·
Registered
242 Posts
did you take 12 years to put 11000 miles on your nc? what kind of riding do you do? i like my 2018 650lt. i have been on aprilias for the last 9 years-230000 miles combined. the versys seems to be reliable which is good because i commute rain or shine. plus i can walk to the dealership if i need to get a service done.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
... So far my TOTAL among those THREE - about 155,000 MILES!...
I just went back thru my records on the THREE V650s.

The REAL TOTAL (as of 07 July '20) is 179,607 MILES [289,049 KMS!!!].

PDG I believe....

(y)(y)

:love:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just went back thru my records on the THREE V650s.
The REAL TOTAL (as of 07 July '20) is 179,607 MILES [289,049 KMS!!!].
i'd be more interested by basecamp snapshots or trip logs of the best roads though.
Distinct miles impresses me more than repeated miles; it takes a true explorer to achieve that.

One day I hope some bike forum will allow uploading gpx and show them straight on web page with a map mashup. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I rode the NC700X before buying my '15 V650. The Honda was tame and easy to ride. I would call it rather vanilla, but not unpleasant. Honestly I thought the storage unit was a cool idea. The Versys is fun to ride but not quirky or hard work.

For basic commuting to work, the Honda would be a fine choice. Like buying a Honda car for commuting.

For adventure, the Versys is great. Fun to ride, easy to ride, and good on the dirt in the remote areas. My dislike of the V650 is the high center of gravity for me. I am 5'10" tall and 150 lbs, and not young any more. I wouldn't trade it for the Honda, but just pointing out a downside of this style of machine. It isn't a stepped seat cruiser low to the ground, and I like to go off pavement.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
...I'd be more interested by basecamp snapshots or trip logs of the best roads though.
Distinct miles impresses me more than repeated miles; it takes a true explorer to achieve that....
I've posted ride reports from ALL OVER Canada, the US Southwest, AND Alaska. I BELIEVE they are STILL on the Forum [somewhere...:sick:].

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you take 12 years to put 11000 miles on your nc? what kind of riding do you do? i like my 2018 650lt. i have been on aprilias for the last 9 years-230000 miles combined. the versys seems to be reliable which is good because i commute rain or shine. plus i can walk to the dealership if i need to get a service done.
No, I got the NC last year and put 3,000
miles on.it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Considering switching from my 2012 NC700x to 650 VersysLT...no particular reason except I get bored...nc has only 11000 miles and is in excellent condition...I like the looks and reviews on the Versys but have not yet ridden one..
Thanks
I had a NOS 2018 Versys 650 mid 2019 for 7 months as my commuter until getting sideswiped on the freeway by a distracted driver. I switched over to a new NC750X DCT for the dual clutch as I found it challenging at times to flash high beams, sound the horn, brace myself, and clutch all at the same time, but i did really like the Versys. It is more sporty than the NC and is more than willing to pop a wheelie in 1st or 2nd without even meaning to do so. For a short inseam guy, the Versys doesn't allow itself to be lowered as much as lowering links on te NC does (I used Motor Werks lowering block plus carved my seat to get it a bit lower. The PUIG windshield was a great replacement on the Versys, and there's enough cable/etc. slack to allow for a 2" Rox adjustable handlebar riser (not so on the NC).
After all that, not really much SF Bay Area freeway commuting experience to compare as just after getting the bike, the shelter in place order came down, so I've been working from home since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks
I actually traded a NC700x in 2015 for a 2015 Versys 650 LT. No regrets. I did like the NC700x, a good dependable bike but a bit boring after a while. The Versys will put a smile on your face, enough power, excellent handling and so far very dependable after 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Versys is a tad tall & a bit top heavy but, oh so much more fun. I am a somewhat new rider (@ 54yo) & checked out the NC700X last year for my first big bike. I loved it! Except for the rev limiter. Hit that right away & knew the bike would be too limiting really soon & I am not a crazy rider - I'm old. Bought the Versys instead & couldn't be happier. Even my husband likes riding it & he rides a HD "Big Comfy Couch" as I call it.

I test rode the NC750X last Nov @ the IMS & loved it enough to consider trading in my Versys. The NC750X has the increased RMP limit & more speed. The lower center of gravity is a real plus also. Overall tho' I decided the Versys was a little more fun...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I forgot to mention.... you can fit a full face modular helmet in the saddlebag. Huge plus! Especially when you factor in not having to unpack whatever is on your passenger seat just to fuel up.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
...Especially when you factor in not having to unpack whatever is on your passenger seat just to fuel up....
(y)(y)

When I "test-rode" one, THAT was about my biggest complaint!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks
My dad has an NC700x (2015) I have a Versys 650 LT (2017).

I've ridden his NC a bunch of times and I do like it. It's a DCT model. I would LOVE a DCT Versys.

The Versys is the more sporty option. It's better on a twisty road, the NC is fine but not as good as the versys in that aspect. I find the suspension and brakes (same brakes just two on the front on the Versys) better on the V650. The DCT NC700 has plenty of go off the line though because it just outshifts people.

The NC is a purpose built commuter bike and it's the best at what it does. If you don't need the extra performance on twisty roads I would stick with it because of that efficiency. My dad consistently gets 15mpg or better MPG than I do. The NC does have a bit small tank though at 3.7? gallons. It's about 200 miles of range vs at least 250 for the Versys with the 5.5 gallon tank. I wish Honda has managed to get a 4.5 gallon tank into it.

Running costs will be lower on the NC. The Valves have the same check intervals but are screw adjustable and much easier to access on the NC if you do lots of miles. The front trunk is freaking great too.

For luggage getting in the way? That was a non-issue on our month long trip last year. Just don't put a bag on the back seat. You have a front trunk and with side panniers and a top box it's a cargo mule of a bike. My dad by far had more capacity than either I or my friend on a Super Tenere on that trip. If you hate top boxes I guess that may be an issue. I don't see it any different than dealing with a tank bag though having to remove it for gas.

That engine is so low stress in the NC it'll probably end up being one of the most reliable bike engines of all time as well.

Basically it comes down to the "sport" factor you need in a bike. Versys is better for that, NC is lower cost and a more mellow bike. It also had DCT which is fantastic.

I would ride either and be very happy. If I "slow down" and become a more mellow rider I think the NC would be the better bike. If not Versys.

Another huge difference I almost forgot to mention is the CG, it's far lower on the NC and it feels like a much lighter bike to handle at low speeds because of that. Easier in parking lots.

* Forgot to make a point about gravel roads. I find the NC more stable as it's got a more relaxed rake/trail than the Versys. It felt more surefooted on gravel/sand and easier to ride with the lower CG. Both of these are NOT dirtbikes but if you like to travel down unpaved roads often that's a consideration.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just don't put a bag on the back seat. You have a front trunk and with side panniers and a top box it's a cargo mule of a bike. My dad by far had more capacity than either I or my friend on a Super Tenere on that trip. If you hate top boxes I guess that may be an issue. I don't see it any different than dealing with a tank bag though having to remove it for gas.
The logical tight convenient solid spot for an every-ride kit is the pillion spot,
not the tank (hinderance and scratches, too small anyway),
not the top case (too far behind and can't take the 20+lbs of usual kits counting tools, water, etc...),
not side cases (some would say dangerous, I say nightmare in traffic).

Process of elimination says: tail bag.
Honda says: doh!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The logical tight convenient solid spot for an every-ride kit is the pillion spot,
not the tank (hinderance and scratches, too small anyway),
not the top case (too far behind and can't take the 20+lbs of usual kits counting tools, water, etc...),
not side cases (some would say dangerous, I say nightmare in traffic).

Process of elimination says: tail bag.
Honda says: doh!
I wonder if BMW blocked them from being able to put the fill beside the back seat because of some trademark/patent/design protection. Seems like a purpose built bag with quick clips would get the bag out of the way for fueling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts