Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just in case if one has doubts which bike to buy. I have both. 1000 is more of a superbike while 650 is a... well, a bike. 1000 has more power, is more stable on highways, and surprisingly has lower rpm. the exhaust sound is much superior (I have an Akra slip on without the baffle, and CAT removed, who needs that crap anyway?). But I have to say that 650 is much more fun. Not just because it is lighter, but its ergos let you turn corners much easier and it is just such a nice bike. Ok, the exhaust is not supersonic, but with my Leo Vince exhaust, it actually sounds really nice. The only thing that makes me think of 1000 as really superior is the gearbox. the one on 650 is really crude.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a used v650 about a month or so ago. I'm really enjoying it but I would love to try the 1000 out just to see how they compare. I'm a sucker for a fast bike so I know I'd like the 1K plus I'd like to try out a bike with cruise control.

The V650 is a great bike but I do miss my turbo busa. :(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1000 is not a sport bike so it is not that fast. I clocked 230km/h with some effort. but it does have fast acceleration. another benefit of 1000 is the it is roomier and the seat for the pillion is great. 650 is more suitable for solo riding. At least me, I ride it always alone.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is a bit off the topic, but today I had a chance to ride the new bmw g1200gs. I always wanted to try it. It is certainly a piece of art and looks very nice. It has even some kind of shock in the middle behind the front forks serving as anti-diving device I suppose, as there is zero front driving. And it has so many electronics the it blows your mind. But did I like it? Not particularly. I don't know what this hype about. The engine is noisy, the gearbox is clunky, the bike very heavy, huge, and far too tall for me. I would not trade it for Versys 1000 even though it costs double the price. 1000 is so much smoother, a perfect gear box and so much more fun to ride; the exhaust sounds so much nicer, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Versys 1000
5 Posts
AND... if you happen to do your own wrenching, check out the price of a ring set & piston for that BMW G1200GS and compare it to the Versys 1000! Even if you don't do your own and a dealer does your repairs, BMW upkeep cost more, as a rule. Nice ride, but I am enjoying my Versys 1000 more that my K1600GTL. Enough off topic, couldn't resists!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BMW service is crazy expensive. I have mini gs in India and the service is ok, but it is made in India. Anyway, I service myself. Seriously, I prefer the 310 to 1200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exhaust sound is very subjective. I prefer the exhaust note of a twin over an inline four every time.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the sound of single cylinder. especially the old ones with the big crankshaft and long crank rod; like the old British bikes; i have a few of them in India. on the other hand, my single cylinder crf250 sounds like crap. the most unique sound have actually 3 cylinder bikes. but without the baffle in, my Tiger 800 is droning too much; even ear plugs do not help (the droning enters your body) but with the baffle in, the sound is pleasant. Also, let's not forget that inline 2 cylinders sound very different than V-twins, like Harley. I used to have Sportster 1200 in the past; it sounded cool. I think they have an actual patent for the sound :), so that Japanese cannot copy it. i am now very happy with the 650 sound, after I fitted the Leo Vince exhaust.

As I mentioned, I took a test drive with G1200gs. and other than being noisy, it kind of sounded like nothing. but as you mentioned, it is often a subjective opinion. many people like different music.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts