Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys Ive got a really annoying issue with starting my versys 650 2018, it has 15,000 miles on the clock, some days i turn the ignition key on and off several times (7 times was the worst) before it will eventually start, once it has started it is fine, it will just turn over and over and over but not fire up. I was told not to use the kill switch on the handlebars to stop the engine, now i either use the stand or ignition switch to stop the bike running. can the kill switch be causing the problem? any suggestions will be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My V1k does this sometimes, too. The kill switch prevents the starter from activating. Logically, if the kill switch were the problem, the starter would also be affected.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi guys Ive got a really annoying issue with starting my versys 650 2018, it has 15,000 miles on the clock, some days i turn the ignition key on and off several times (7 times was the worst) before it will eventually start, once it has started it is fine, it will just turn over and over and over but not fire up. I was told not to use the kill switch on the handlebars to stop the engine, now i either use the stand or ignition switch to stop the bike running. can the kill switch be causing the problem? any suggestions will be much appreciated
Why were you told not to use the kill switch on the handle bars? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why were you told not to use the kill switch on the handle bars? Makes no sense.
Not the OP, but to me it’s just one more point of failure in the ignition system that can go bad if your constantly flipping it on and off. I’ve always been taught that the reason the kill switch on the bars is usually red is because it’s to be used as an emergency kill switch. I’ve always shut my bikes off with the ignition. The exception was dirt bikes because many of them that’s the only way to kill the engine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use my kill switch at least twice a day, I commute and everything else on my V (I don’t own a car), and have over 72k km on it. No problems what so ever.

Use it or loose it.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
If the kill switch is the problem , then the bike will not crank. Some 2018 models have Crank sensor problem, at least here in my location and even a one day bike which was out of the show room had Crank sensor problem. Next time when the bike doesn't start try shaking the crank sensor wire on you right hand side.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The kill switch is the ultimate emergency in case of a catastrophic event

Better used it as often as you can AND fixed it the day it brakes

If you don't use it, how can you be sure it works, for instance in case of an emergency ...

My 2 cents

LOP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the kill switch is the problem , then the bike will not crank. Some 2018 models have Crank sensor problem, at least here in my location and even a one day bike which was out of the show room had Crank sensor problem. Next time when the bike doesn't start try shaking the crank sensor wire on you right hand side.
that a very interesting point, the fault has gradually got worse over the past 6 months, are they easy to change, would the weather make any difference, only it seems to start better in colder wetter conditions.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
If it seems to satrt better in cold weather , run through all earth connections and clean and secure them. You may have crank sensor or some wiring problem. Is you battery draining fast?

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Not the kill switch. One thing I can tell you, as to previuos comments about not knowing if it will function, partially true , however the kill switch is mechanical and breaks the contacts, the big problem is if those contacts get corroded. Not a matter of stopping but not starting. Here is a quick fix, no contact cleaner required. Once the bike starts, I want you to very slowly operate the kill switch, what we are trying to do is cause a arc, this blows away oxide.

Next you need to test the vehicle down sensor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts