Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just upgraded my little VTR250 to a Versys 650 and it’s fantastic. Even came with the panniers/saddlebags. I took it out for its first proper ride yesterday and discovered the plastic “keys” that lock the panniers had both disappeared.

They’re a simple black plastic thing that fits snugly in the hole pictured. This is not the type that fits the ignition key by the way, it can now be used with a quarter turn of a screwdriver - not ideal but at least I’m not locked out of the panniers.

If anyone has any advice on where to find some replacements online that would be awesome.

Cheers, safe riding all

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your bike looks great

It looks like the whole lock cylinder is missing from the pictured bag. I was able order new lock cylinders and re-key used KQR bags I purchased off a forum member. With no lock cylinder in the bag it is an easy process, less than a half hour at the worst, and your ignition key will lock your saddlebags. I paid $42 from RMATVMC.com for a pair of lock cylinders that come with the keying supplies. A dealer might sell them to you but they also probably insist on installing them for double what they cost. Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Langers...welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Versys!

Yeah, those little "plastic locks" are just for temporary getting into the side cases. I bought the OEM side cases and had to order the locks that go with it. (Just like the rubber mounts - $39 - that you need for these specific side cases AND the color panel set - $149 - that Kawasaki doesn't really mention you NEED until you discover afterwards...grrrr!)

You can order a set from Kawasaki, or get it through your local Kawasaki dealer like I did - with a discount!

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/one-key-system/999940407

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome and the info everyone. I didn’t know those plastic ones were only temporary placeholder keys, although the fact they both decided to wiggle out certainly suggests so!

A set that fits the ignition key seems like the way to go. Asphaltaddict33, do you reckon those OEM ones Devilsfan linked are likely a half hour DIY job as well? I suspect postage to Aus from Rocky Mountain ATV would make the Kawa ones a cheaper option, especially if it’s possible to do the install myself. Kawasaki say it must be done by a dealer, but of course they say that (ay Devilsfan).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts