Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent last week on my brother-in-laws Magna 750 in Montana. Fell in love with being on a bike and put more miles in a week than he did in two years. I think I have narrowed it down to a Versy or KLR 650. Live in Austin and most of my time would be on the road. Help convince me one way or the other. Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Having ridden a 2008 KLR, and never having ridden a Versys, I'd probably go for the Versys. Fuel injection, much better on the road (the KLR felt nervous and unstable compared to my SV).

If you're going to spend any time offroad though, you'd have to go for the KLR.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a V for my wife. I'm about to buy my own, and a KLR650: The V for the road/sport, and the Killer for off-road/ratting around. If you're mostly on-road, go for the V. Hands down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had both, It's easy

I went from a KLR to a V. Its like EVERYONE SAYS!!...if you are doing mostly road - especially any super slab, its the Versys. If you need/want to do more than graded gravel its the KLR. The V can do a VERY good job on graded gravel with the right tires, there is no comparison on the pavement - V rocks!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Magna.... now that I have a Versys... The Magna will be for sale soon... Had a KLR... great bike.. even for touring but low on power on the streets... The versys is just as fun as a KLR except offroading.... and can go touring... has waaaaaay more power... better than a sportbike in the twisties..... CHEAPER insurance than the KLR... but most of all fun and different and the best overall value for money!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thats an easy question, I just had a 2008 KLR650 for a year and put almost 10,000 miles on it and I was always yearning for a 6th gear and more power. I bought it thinking it would be nice to be able to go on trails and off road a little but like many other KLR owners I found myself spending 99% of the time on the road. Couldn't take it anymore, sold my KLR last month and now am waiting for the 09 Versys to come out. Should have bought it in the first place! Don't make the same mistake I made, if you want a dirt bike or dual sport, go buy a cheap used one and buy the Versys new!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sold my KLR for a Versys.. much happier on the road, but I sometimes miss the character and utility of the KLR. Can't go wrong either way. The Versys is more usefull to me as I spend 99% on the road.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had both, until recently. Had the KLR for 4 years and loved it, but it just wasn't for me on long on road journeys. Off road on nearly all terrains it was almost perfect, logging, forest, mud, even single track it did very well, above my capabilities anyway.

I got the Versys and the KLR never came out of the garage again. V is an excellent commuter, long distance tourer, two up or one with full camping gear, its great in the twisties and you can have fun on logging and forest roads. It will not handle big potholes well (alloy wheels are lightly to bend and let the air out suddenly). Plus the engine and exhausts are very vulnerable.

So decide on your riding preferences and the decision is easy. Both are excellent bikes and you won't be disappointed with either. KLR is rough and ready for anything, Versys is a smooth, great handling pocket rocket.

Only downside on a V, you'll probably pay a bit more insurance, many companies view it as a sport bike, KLR as a dual sport is cheaper to insure.

Machog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Klr Vs. Versys

I have one of each. If I'm just going out for a spin through the back roads I do the killer. If I am going out with the wife (she has an 800 Suzuki S50) I do the V. Both are fun

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also have both and if I could only keep one, it'd be the KLR but that's because I like to do a bit of exploring. On the street, the V is much nicer so if you really intend to be on pavement 99% of the time, then the Versys is the clear choice.

Dave

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ditto. If you ride pavement most of the time you will eventually sell your KLR and buy a Versys. Don't get me wrong. The KLR is a great bike but I just found it irritating on the highway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts