Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
471 Posts
Hi guys,

I have my babe Versys 650 2021 Pearl White - I lost my two cowlings due to small incident with cosmetic damage, while avoiding collision. It is emotionally tough.

View attachment 191272

Original part models broken:
  1. 55059-5424-660 - COWLING,SIDE,LH,M.S.BLACK - Metallic Black
  2. 55059-5425-660 - COWLING,TANK SIDE,LH,M.S.BLACK - Metallic Black
After market parts broken:
  1. SRC Moto Crash bars - strong bent, which was the main cause of the broken cowlings. I found them not reliable for cowling protection in this case.

I see that from 2015 - 2021 Versys 650 are very similar, or even identical.

• Found on ebay someone selling used parts 55028-0563
  • Like new from older Versys
  • Color is identical with stickers removed
  • View attachment 191270
Questions:
  1. Would it fit my bike even tho part number is different?
  2. Are cowlings different in shape ranging 2015 to 2021? (Thickness, form)
What you would recommend in this case?
That part number shows to only fit a 2016.....https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/55028-0563-53P
Your part number doesn't show to have any other years fitment....https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/55059-5347-660?ref=eb36025776f435bb0e5f674bb34b14edcd715676
As my 2019, it has 2 years fitment....https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/55028-0515-739

You can use Partzilla to cross reference parts, just be sure to look at the entire part number, the last numbers could be the only numbers that change

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd love to know how Kawasaki arrives at the second group of digits in the parts number.
I figure they must have a secret magic internal spreadsheet before the numbers are generated for the parts fiche and listing.
If I was a guessing man I'd think that the ABS plastic was the same fitment for 2015 to 2021 with maybe minor, non-critical revisions and differing finishes.
FWIW Chinese aftermarket panels don't differentiate between those years.
Quality of those is possibly another question.
Think I figured it out, I've worked in Chevrolet parts and Harley parts departments in the past, it's all a code.
55028-0515-660 part for my 2019 upper cowl. 55028 is for cowl, 0515 is for left hand, 660 is for black
55059-5348-660 part for OP 2021 upper cowl 55059 is for cowl,5348 is for left hand, 660 is for black
parts won't interchange, first number has to match.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah but what is the physical difference between the cowls?
Could it be as simple as a different source shifting the numbers in Kawasaki's listing?

I've done some mix and match Frankenstein shuffling in the past with cars and bikes, usually successful, but there are some boxes of "Nopes" that live on the shelf. )-:

I'm recently familiar with Honda numbers where the first is the general group, the second set is the originating model and the third group are source, revision and color etc. That is a logical way to get things kind of pointed in right directions and it works great until it doesn't. A lot of this can be forced with "Part Unavailable" in the books, but sometimes there is a glimmer of hope, as the engineers designing stuff are the same, the machinery is the same and the part is performing the same function and the dimensions match up.

Other times you have to stare at the parts in the fiche and look what they attach to and if those numbers match each other, like same bolts, same subframe, or maybe something is added with attachments. Maybe wander to a salvage yard for some eye comparison.

It can be fun or frustrating, but at some point one has to say "What's my time worth and what's the difference in price for the final product?"

I guess it really boils down for me as to why is that number different and what does it mean?
I would think that could be deciphered, maybe it is just wishful thinking.
As you say it could bolt up the same, maybe they changed a shape slightly to give it that "new updated look" or to allow for a new windshield mounting, different turn signals. Would have to have both parts for a close inspection and trial and error fitment, worth the headache, only in desperation for me like trying to restore an old classic where the options are limited. 20 years ago I restored some early Chevrolets and would junk yard hunt for Pontiac, Buick, Olds sister cars in search of parts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I found other solution, reading reviews.

I bought Aftermarket Hard ABS Plastic Fairings for both sides. They are cheaper and more durable,can bent instead of breaking.
Then I gonna wrap them with 3M, as they don't have any paint.

And you are right, OEM parts might have some small difference in shape, but they would fit.

View attachment 191317
View attachment 191318
Good find. If you're any bit good at painting here's a link to excellent paint, tad pricey but what isn't. I've used it with great results, I used to paint cars some 20 years ago. They have rattle cans that do a very good job, there's some how to vids you can check out. just search your paint code

·
Registered
471 Posts
What about the Indicators? Do you remove the metal plate for them or the guards covers them also?
I need to choose between SW-Motech and T-Rex
You unplug the signals from the wire harness. Remove screw #224 along with #'s 92200 & 92200A that's it. Now the lights are held in with the rubber flare at the faring and will just pop off instead of breaking the faring

·
Registered
471 Posts
@Illuminaut
Thanks for the info on the fit of the aftermarket pieces.
Please post pictures when it is back together.

There are no aftermarket fairing pieces available for my '22 yet, but if I need them hopefully they will be in production.
Those metal clips on the turn signals, they are notorious for breaking panels and were removed as soon as the bike home from the dealer. Just the rubber is holding them in, but they haven't shown signs of popping loose......yet.
I had seen a post on here before of someone getting aftermarket stuff I think it was from Taiwan at good prices, not sure of the years available are, could try a search on the forum, maybe someone will link up???

·
Registered
471 Posts
All my plastic is still good at this point.
AliExpress would probably be my go to for a search if the case arises down the road.
Kawasaki plastic seems crazy expensive to this guy and for the next few years it would be an insurance claim from me if anything substantial.

Lots of track day bikes end up with the Chinese kits, some smart racers start out that way and the stock stuff is hanging up in the garage.
Lots of track day bikes end up with the Chinese kits, some smart racers start out that way and the stock stuff is hanging up in the garage.
That seems like a smart thing to do.
Never used AliExpress, not sure I trust it let alone the wait time for that slow boat from China

1 - 8 of 8 Posts