Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
I'd love to know how Kawasaki arrives at the second group of digits in the parts number.
I figure they must have a secret magic internal spreadsheet before the numbers are generated for the parts fiche and listing.
If I was a guessing man I'd think that the ABS plastic was the same fitment for 2015 to 2021 with maybe minor, non-critical revisions and differing finishes.
FWIW Chinese aftermarket panels don't differentiate between those years.
Quality of those is possibly another question.

· Registered
144 Posts
Yeah but what is the physical difference between the cowls?
Could it be as simple as a different source shifting the numbers in Kawasaki's listing?

I've done some mix and match Frankenstein shuffling in the past with cars and bikes, usually successful, but there are some boxes of "Nopes" that live on the shelf. )-:

I'm recently familiar with Honda numbers where the first is the general group, the second set is the originating model and the third group are source, revision and color etc. That is a logical way to get things kind of pointed in right directions and it works great until it doesn't. A lot of this can be forced with "Part Unavailable" in the books, but sometimes there is a glimmer of hope, as the engineers designing stuff are the same, the machinery is the same and the part is performing the same function and the dimensions match up.

Other times you have to stare at the parts in the fiche and look what they attach to and if those numbers match each other, like same bolts, same subframe, or maybe something is added with attachments. Maybe wander to a salvage yard for some eye comparison.

It can be fun or frustrating, but at some point one has to say "What's my time worth and what's the difference in price for the final product?"

I guess it really boils down for me as to why is that number different and what does it mean?
I would think that could be deciphered, maybe it is just wishful thinking.

· Registered
144 Posts
@Illuminaut
Thanks for the info on the fit of the aftermarket pieces.
Please post pictures when it is back together.

There are no aftermarket fairing pieces available for my '22 yet, but if I need them hopefully they will be in production.
Those metal clips on the turn signals, they are notorious for breaking panels and were removed as soon as the bike home from the dealer. Just the rubber is holding them in, but they haven't shown signs of popping loose......yet.

· Registered
144 Posts
I had seen a post on here before of someone getting aftermarket stuff I think it was from Taiwan at good prices, not sure of the years available are, could try a search on the forum, maybe someone will link up???
All my plastic is still good at this point.
AliExpress would probably be my go to for a search if the case arises down the road.
Kawasaki plastic seems crazy expensive to this guy and for the next few years it would be an insurance claim from me if anything substantial.

Lots of track day bikes end up with the Chinese kits, some smart racers start out that way and the stock stuff is hanging up in the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts