Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, so I recently bought a ‘14 Versys 650 & I’m amazed at what an amazing bike this is, Last year I went through 4 bikes, but didn’t like any as much as my Versys, the only trouble the bike gives me, is that I live in Caracas, Venezuela, there’s a lot of traffic here on regular days, & I just burn 1st through 4th very quickly, the bike has very short gears being stock, so I talked to my mechanic & we concluded that a nice combo would be the 43t Rear & 16T front, it’s a shame that the odometer won’t show me the real speed, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take if it’ll give longer/taller gears, I installed a yoshimura exhaust, My God does it sound beautiful,(REALLY RECOMMEND) if you want the extra torque & a bit more power too, compromises MPG tho, please let me know what you think, Thank You!! Glad to have met the spectacular Kawasaki Versys.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hello versys in venezuela. So, year long riding in luxurious green mountains? Lucky you.

First, stop thinking about it. You won't notice soon enough. Also, I frequently double shift: 1, 2, 4, 6.
I so don't think about it that I'm frequently trying a 7th...

I find that the 1st is borderline fine for trail riding given the 650 torque, but I would not like it any longer. I'm a low-rpms fan, but there is a limit. With all the forest around you, there's got to be amazing trails to ride in a 200km radius!

The 6th is ok at 100km/h for ~5000rpms, because it's appreciated to be close to the higher power at that speed.

FYI, 46:15 (3.066) to 43:16 (2.6875) will change the rpms down to 87.6%. That means 4381 rpms instead of 5000. That is a lot!
I would not change any sprocket. Just double shift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes!! I hadn’t thought of double shifting, will the transmission suffer from double shifting? It’s very smart actually, It’s just that there is a bunch of traffic here, The transmission is bad for traffic, because of the constant shiftery, but as soon as I hit the twisty roads I understand what the bike was made for. I won’t change the sprockets, This week I’ll try out your double shifting technique & then let you know, My Baby Versys is now @ the shop getting taken good care of, as soon as I get her back I’ll try it out. I don’t want to compromise the acceleration of the bike because ever since I installed the yoshimura exhaust + K&N filter, the bike is a lot more responsive on low ends, much more acceleration than stock, and since you’re telling me that the bike will lose some power, Imma just double shift, save money, & keep on having loads of fun. Thanks for the advice! Have a great day!

·
Registered
932 Posts
will the transmission suffer from double shifting?
I can't imagine how. The drum performs 2 gears synchro after another instead of one, but you also take a bit more time to double shift so the engine rpm slows a bit more which is helping.

I would not do double downshifts though.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts

·
Registered
2014 650 versys
40 Posts
Hey Guys, so I recently bought a ‘14 Versys 650 & I’m amazed at what an amazing bike this is, Last year I went through 4 bikes, but didn’t like any as much as my Versys, the only trouble the bike gives me, is that I live in Caracas, Venezuela, there’s a lot of traffic here on regular days, & I just burn 1st through 4th very quickly, the bike has very short gears being stock, so I talked to my mechanic & we concluded that a nice combo would be the 43t Rear & 16T front, it’s a shame that the odometer won’t show me the real speed, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take if it’ll give longer/taller gears, I installed a yoshimura exhaust, My God does it sound beautiful,(REALLY RECOMMEND) if you want the extra torque & a bit more power too, compromises MPG tho, please let me know what you think, Thank You!! Glad to have met the spectacular Kawasaki Versys.
That's my year also. Put 16 front and 43 rear last year in Oregon and rode to Puerto vallarta, works great, longer gears, in mp7ntsins use one gear in twists, no more shifting 3..4 times in traffic 3 years, 2 brothers pipe on mine... Speedo is off about 10..12 mph goes faster in 5th than 6th, 6th becomes an overdrive, love my green frog. None other in mexico

·
Registered
5 Posts
Related to the earlier replies, I would change both sprockets for lower RPM. I went up one tooth in the front and and down one in the rear. This has three advantages:
1) You can wind out first gear without feeling you are on a trail bike.
2) Upshifting 1-3-5 is highway perfection, and you'll find that fifth gear has less vibration than sixth with stock sprockets.
3) Your chain adjustment won't change since the total teeth are the same.\

My speedo is dead on with the traffic radars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on your Versys, Njay! I ride the same year. My solution (which is tried and true) to seeking another gear was to install a 44 tooth rear sprocket and leave the front stock. I did this right after I bought the bike back in 2015 and it actually corrected the speedometer so it's accurate vs. GPS speed (it overshoots actual speed with the stock 46 tooth sprocket). I purchased mine here and highly recommend them (they ship internationally): SUPERLITE (#16606RX) RSX Series 520 Pitch Steel Rear Sprocket - KAWASAKI - Versys 650 / KLE650 2007-2020 - Kawasaki - STREET
Enjoy your Versys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went w the 43t rear and love it, totally different bike. I wouldn’t also go w the taller front sprocket (16t). I think that’s too much.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
As I've said before - in about 185 THOUSAND miles among THREE V650s including LOTS of dirt (NO single-tracks tho'...) all w/ OEM 15/46 sprockets, I've never felt a need for different gearing.

:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts