Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was reading about versys1000 and noticed comments about the front wheel looked unproportionally small compared to the chassi. Would it spoil its road handling with 18-19"? Other concerns were its front suspension, much less nimble than the 650 and ugly exhaust system. But besides that people seem happy. Wonder what it would do to the versys 1000 to address these things.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Was reading about versys1000 and noticed comments about the front wheel looked unproportionally small compared to the chassi. Would it spoil its road handling with 18-19"? Other concerns were its front suspension, much less nimble than the 650 and ugly exhaust system. But besides that people seem happy. Wonder what it would do to the versys 1000 to address these things.
I would think that a larger diameter front wheel would slow the steering down somewhat, everything else being equal. Raising the fork tubes in the triple clamp would allow you to level out the bike.

·
Banned
895 Posts
But if you had a fat wife, would that not automatically lift the front suspension!?!?!?!?;) :goodidea: :eek:penarms: :sorry:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously, think the versys 1000 would become something great with some improvements, like the new v-strom1000 just got. Then it wouldnt require two people to steer :)

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Well if the V1000 came to the states i would have a bracket made and slap the Yoshi off my V650 on it then take it and have a Dyno test done to make sure it would work. I hate the big exhaust o the 1000.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
there are many aftermarket exhausts for the 1000. I had a carbon Akro put on before it left the dealer when I bought it. The oem one is ugly.
Gained a few hp and shed about 10 pounds too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
In my opinion, it is a matter of what you plan on using the bike for. In my case I ride 100% street and I think the larger front wheel compromises road handling. If I was going to do any offroad I would have looked at the Tiger Explorer or Yami Tenere or 1200GS.
I got the 1000 because the 650 Versys was such a great fun bike and the 1000 is just as agile and fun to ride but with almost twice the power, traction control, and ABS
At only 70 lbs more, to me it feels no different from the 650 as far as handling.
just my observations after 1 year and 10,000 kms.
:thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Think both 650 and 1000 are fine and charmingly half-ugly bikes with very good (usefulness+comfort+fun)/cost ratio. If it is possible to improve things like on and off road capabilities simultaneously and design stuff it wouldn't be negative. For me, occasionally there are these unforeseen gravel/forest roads where the asphalt suddenly ends, it's not worse than a typical city SUV couldn't make it. But those times a "light" off-road kit would have been nice. Can't see that I'd be anywhere near the bikes on-road capabilities limits. But the on road capabilities could be more important to more sport-touring oriented riders though, in particular the testers writing reviews in magazines, they seem to push it more than ordinary people does and if something feels vague to them in those special situations it gets brought up as something negative in the review. Traction control would be nice to have.

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anybody know that it takes to import a motorcycle from Canada to the US? I want a Versys 1K so bad.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Anybody know that it takes to import a motorcycle from Canada to the US? I want a Versys 1K so bad.
I'm not sure exactly what is involved but I think it can be done. I know some people from the US were talking about it on the Versys1000. In the owner manual it does say it meets the environmental regulations but I don't know if that's enough.
Right now some dealers are selling of 2013's for $9999.00 Canadian which would be a steal in US money.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what is involved but I think it can be done. I know some people from the US were talking about it on the Versys1000. In the owner manual it does say it meets the environmental regulations but I don't know if that's enough.
Right now some dealers are selling of 2013's for $9999.00 Canadian which would be a steal in US money.
Using today's currency calculator that would be $10,268.00 :) not that great taking in to account the US usually gets a far better deal on bikes than us.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In New Zealand a 2012 Versys 1000 ABS is $18495.00 plus on road costs, the NZ dollar is around 84 US cents, which equates to 15300.00 USD. You don't know how lucky you are price wise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts