Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on vacation in Montana, this happened:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/27d2y5i9m/

He had a stop sign, but I did not. With perfect visibility and where the other driver could literally see for miles down the road I was on, he stopped and then pulled out in front of me. The speed limit was 70mph. Luckily I was already slowing down for an intersection further down the road. I always cover the brake, horn, and am thinking about evasive maneuvers whenever I see a car stopped at an intersection I'm driving past - A habit I have from many years of riding motorcycles. But, it wasn't enough to avoid the accident.

Luckily no one in my van was injured. Surprisingly, the other driver only suffered minor cuts from crawling out of his car through broken glass.

The damage to my van doesn't look too bad, but the estimate was nearly $10,000. Needless to say, the van was totaled.

Be careful out there. If someone in can pull out in front of a big van with its headlights on, they can pull out in front of anything!

I had a "start seeing motorcycles" bumper sticker on my old van. I'm thinking about putting a "start seeing vans" bumper sticker on my new minivan.

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
Luckily everyone lived to talk about it, that isn't always the case, like you said, on a bike chances are slim you would have survived.

Last week I saw a driver blow through a red light, it was a multi lane city roda with 2 left hand turn lanes and 2 through lanes, cars in both left turn lanes waiting for the light , no one in the through lanes, until I arrived, I don't think that person even saw the light, this intersection was widened and a bridge put in for a new access to a round about 1 KM away, multiple lights for each lane, so at least three visible red lights, about 3 seconds after, a series of cars were turning into that intersection from the bridge. I can say my Denali lights and barkbuster leds have made a huge difference, twice last week I had people a car length in front signal for a lane change then hit their brakes, realizing I was there, put a smile on my face. FYI I am prepared for a emergency maneuver when riding in multi-lane highways , the horn first when room permits and one hand on the front brake.

Thanks for posting:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow! Glad you and all yours are OK!

I think your intuition from motorcycle riding definitely played a part. I HATE when people do this...you're coming through an intersection. They are stopped and then they start pulling out when you have the right of way.

What tee's me is the idiots that feel they need a head start when pulling onto the through-traffic roadway when they're at a stop. I ALWAYS slow down when I see a car on my right up ahead awaiting to pull out onto the road behind me. And I can't stand when, about 200 feet in front of me, they feel the need to start rolling out - as if they don't get that little jump they'll never make it. :mad: Especially when there are absolutely NO cars behind me for miles, yet they feel to start moving AS I'm approaching.

Anyway, sorry for the loss of your van but again, glad everyone's alright. I'd get checked at a doctor anyway as, we all know, once that adrenaline starts to wear down the pain starts.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What tee's me is the idiots that feel they need a head start when pulling onto the through-traffic roadway when they're at a stop. I ALWAYS slow down when I see a car on my right up ahead awaiting to pull out onto the road behind me. And I can't stand when, about 200 feet in front of me, they feel the need to start rolling out - as if they don't get that little jump they'll never make it. :mad: Especially when there are absolutely NO cars behind me for miles, yet they feel to start moving AS I'm approaching.
Sometimes I think they do this on purpose to scare motorcyclists.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Luckily everyone lived to talk about it, that isn't always the case, like you said, on a bike chances are slim you would have survived.

Last week I saw a driver blow through a red light, it was a multi lane city roda with 2 left hand turn lanes and 2 through lanes, cars in both left turn lanes waiting for the light , no one in the through lanes, until I arrived, I don't think that person even saw the light, this intersection was widened and a bridge put in for a new access to a round about 1 KM away, multiple lights for each lane, so at least three visible red lights, about 3 seconds after, a series of cars were turning into that intersection from the bridge. I can say my Denali lights and barkbuster leds have made a huge difference, twice last week I had people a car length in front signal for a lane change then hit their brakes, realizing I was there, put a smile on my face. FYI I am prepared for a emergency maneuver when riding in multi-lane highways , the horn first when room permits and one hand on the front brake.

Thanks for posting:thumb::thumb::thumb:
glad you and yours are ok. so it's a problem where ya'll live too. this kinda thing is rampant where I live and getting worse over time. people in a suicidal/homicidal fashion blatantly running red lights (not even close to being yellow), stop signs, right on red into oncoming traffic. they see you, but apparently are daring you to get out of their way or hit them! i always wait a second or two when the light changes... more than likely, someone out of nowhere will blow thru the light. riding, or even driving, i presume everyone is out to get me, and i'm perennially planning an escape plan. where did civility go?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! The accident actually happened mid-June. I feel very fortunate that everyone in my family was okay!

I was almost in another accident with my new minivan last week. A semi in oncoming traffic drifted into my lane. At first I thought he was just going around something on the shoulder, but he kept moving and was completely in my lane coming toward me. I hit my horn while I was trying to calculate where to go. If I went into the lane he had been in I'd hit the car that was behind him. If I stayed in my lane I might hit him head on. If I went onto the shoulder, I might still hit him head on if he continued drifting over. I happy to say the moment I hit my horn, he jerked back into his lane.

I hope the car that was following him reported his driving. I figure he was on his phone, or fell asleep.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Holy s**t Batman! Glad to hear the collision wasn't any worse than it was. Isn't is amazing that, despite being able to see all the way into next week, stuff like what you experienced happens. Maybe is would be safer to vacation somewhere other than Montana?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The driver of the beautiful Dodge Dynasty was only 16 or 17. When his father showed up on the scene, he said the car was put up for sale that morning. Apparently his son had just dropped off three of his friends before the accident and was on his way to an interview for a summer job. Anyways, the father was relieved that his son was okay and apologized on his behalf for causing the accident.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't is amazing that, despite being able to see all the way into next week, stuff like what you experienced happens.
Yeah, it boggles the mind! This photo really shows just how crazy it is that he didn't see me:

You can clearly see his stop sign and the road I came down. It's been a month and I still just can't grasp how he didn't see me coming! I mean, my van is sort of the color of the road, but it's huge and I had my headlights on.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yeah, it boggles the mind! This photo really shows just how crazy it is that he didn't see me:

You can clearly see his stop sign and the road I came down. It's been a month and I still just can't grasp how he didn't see me coming! I mean, my van is sort of the color of the road, but it's huge and I had my headlights on.
Because he didn't really look. When I am out in the boonies I see a lot of locals that don't expect anyone to be coming so they get complacent and don't ever really stop and are surprised when someone is actually coming and they have to quickly alter their behavior.

I have passed by drivers at that type of intersection at a lot slower speed than I normally would have passed because I don't trust them which unfortunately makes them have to wait even longer.

We have intersections like that where the vehicles that don't have the stop sign actually have yellow speed limit warning signs slowing them down to 35 MPH for the intersection because there were wrecks there. Not unlike putting up deer crossing signs after the car hits a deer.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Spectacular shunt! The kid was probably under the influence after dropping off his friends... They don't have to try selling the darn Dodge Dynasty anymore.

Which new minivan did you get, and what color is it? :surprise:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts