Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my Versys for a few months to work and around. I have about 5800 miles on it. Lately with some of the rain from Fay I still have ridden to work and have been cleaning the air filter as suggested byu the owners manual. This morning I hear some noise from the head that I would describe as slapping. I a new rider. Is this the symptom of a calve job coming on? Manual says it should be done around 28000 miles, but I don't want to wait if I need it.
:eek:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Diagnosing a sound without hearing it is tough. Can you describe a common sound that is similar? For example, a metal spoon hitting a pan or something?

I guess it could be noisy valves, but that doesn't mean much. Yamaha R1s have the famous R1 tick no matter how the valves are adjusted.

My advice, stop by the dealer and let them hear it. Most dealers will either say (1) that's normal, or (2) they all do that. Regardless, have them document your concern so if it becomes a problem later, you have some evidence of when the problem began if you need to get it fixed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanhs! There just down the road from work so I think I will swing by there at lunch and see what they say. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
My valves are fairly rattly.... better that than silent... Still only have 1400 kms, so will see if they get quieter as they seat deeper...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diagnosing a sound without hearing it is tough. Can you describe a common sound that is similar? For example, a metal spoon hitting a pan or something?

I guess it could be noisy valves, but that doesn't mean much. Yamaha R1s have the famous R1 tick no matter how the valves are adjusted.

My advice, stop by the dealer and let them hear it. Most dealers will either say (1) that's normal, or (2) they all do that. Regardless, have them document your concern so if it becomes a problem later, you have some evidence of when the problem began if you need to get it fixed.
Well i did not make it by the dealership, but did manage to get home and clean the chain. Way dirtier that I thought. Rode to work this morning and it started out with the same sounds I was concerned with but was mellow and smooth by the time I parked in the deck. Never thought that grime would inhibit the turning of the engine so much. Probably take it by the dealership just for grins and see what they say anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.