Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Valve clearance thank you and questions.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tommyvous59 
#1 ·
First of all a Big thank you to forum members for all the great posts on this subject. I would not have done this without the great info provided in the forum. So far so good, valves were on the tight side so I followed the steps suggested to sand the shims down, all went well and now clearance is near max as recommended. Time to put it back together.

1) The manual suggests all gaskets and O rings involved be replaced. Is this necessary? They look fine so my guess is this is just standard Kawi recomendation but not really needed.

2) Manual says Cylinder head cover bolt washers should be metal side up. I am almost positive mine were rubber side up. Is the manual wrong? 2011 model.

#2 ·
1. Be careful. I've NEVER had to replace any of 'em.

2. Just checked my '15 SERVICE MANUAL - it says "...Cylinder head cover bolt washers should be metal side up...". I've "done" valves on my three V650s many times, and have just done what the MANUAL says to do, and that's on TWO GEN 1s as well as the Gen 3.

:goodluck:

#3 · (Edited)
Friction / Torque/ Dry / Wet/ wear surface

The reason for metal up, is the head of the bolt creates friction, the rubber could be easily damaged while turning the head of the bolt, if the washer were to bind on the valve cover. With the rubber side down against the valve cover, two things occur, one the washer acts as a seal, prevents the washer from turning while torquing and allows some expansion when the motor heats up, I guess that is 3.Proper torque at ambient temperature, also keep in mind, whendoing the valve shim check, keep all bolts in a separate container, oil free , this applies to the casting threads as well, oil free, I have used brake cleaner to remove traces of oil. Many never consider the original assembly of the motor, the oil was added after assembly, all bolts were oil free
Wet torque ( as in lubed threads) is about 75 % that of dry torque, so very easy to strip aluminum threads if you aren't careful . https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torque_specifications.pdf

Reactions: quexpress
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.