Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25K is just around the corner and I'll have the dealer do it because I don't like the idea of pulling the cams. Have any of you needed adjustments at this mileage?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 valves needed re-shimming when my local mechanic did it.
The "dealer" wanted $300, my mechanic (BMW trained) did it for $180
My dealer quoted 360.00 plus parts for the full service. I have asked for just the valve adj, waiting for his email.

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
Valve Shim / Year Specific

There has been much discussion in the past, 70% of the cost is getting at the valve's, if any are out of adjustment expect to pay a additional hours in shop labor. Typical labor in my area is $90 / HR, your quote of $360 or 4 hours sounds correct.
There is a thread on how to, excellent info, since I have already done it on my 07, when it comes time I intend to do it on the 2015, it should be easier as less plastic to take apart. Plus I have a 1/4 drive torque wrench now, did the 07 with a 3/8 torque wrench, many fasteners required a 8 mm socket, no 3/8 drive in that size so I needed to use a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter, this reduced the vertical clearance and the swing of the ratchet.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
most bids ive gotten are around $500 o.o so anything less sounds good to me

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Did they polish your helmet as well for that price?????......:wink2:
xD no but that is for valves, new oil, new filter, new gasket, new coolant , new spark plugs, and i think air filter, but i really am not 100% sure, regardless $500 is WAY to far out of my reach

·
Registered
456 Posts
No air filter on the Versys, the OEM is washable. Although, you should replace the media every 4 years as the oil eventually breaks down the foam.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
25K is just around the corner and I'll have the dealer do it because I don't like the idea of pulling the cams. Have any of you needed adjustments at this mileage?
Did my '09 at 10,888 kms to find that all four exhausts were on the "tight" end, while the intakes were in that direction too. (all exhausts about .009" against .0087 to .0122 required; while the intakes were .006 to .007" against .0059 to .0083 required) From my KLR days I always adjust to as close to the 'loose' end as I can get!

No air filter on the Versys, the OEM is washable. Although, you should replace the media every 4 years as the oil eventually breaks down the foam.
NOT washable on Gen 3s - at this point - REPLACE only!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts