Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sometimes wonder why they don't just sell all bikes with included tip over protection. When you think about it the odds are pretty great a bike is going to fall over at least once in it's life while parked or from a stupid mistake while moving it or riding. And when it does it is going to land on the side fairing which will either scratch or break. After all they put bumpers on cars.

Got my Versys earlier this year and immediately installed SW-Motech crash bars and Barkbuster hand guards. I debated after ward if it was money well spent as I was not crazy about the extra weight or the look and had convinced myself I would never drop it. Then I dropped it. Stopped on a steep hill and my left foot would not reach the pavement as it was sloping away - bike went over. With the SW Motech crash bars there was no damage to bike - not even a scratch. My crash bars and hand guards have now paid for themselves ;)

This has reaffirmed my belief in the value of tip over protection. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the value of installing tip over protection?

·
Registered
74 Posts
IMO this will depend on how you intend to use the bike. On adventure touring bikes including Vstroms I have installed crash guards because I plan to occasionally ride off road and probability of lay down is high. I bought Versys to be used as a middle weight comfortable sport bike with no intention of taking off road. So I have installed T-rex frame and bar end sliders. These will provide a small degree of protection at much less weight. Probability of lay down is low so decided against full engine guards.

·
Registered
875 Posts
"offroad" That term gets used a lot

This is not "Offroad" and observe how fast he going!

Note the posters comment
"I won't do it again. Versys is not designed for this"

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would rather pay a few extra dollars per year on a low deductible and if I drop it I'm only out $100. Now if I was dual sporting it and expected to drop it then I can see a better case for them.
And then your rate goes up so you spend more in the long run.

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I really hope Kawi upgrades the KLR soon ! --- Or I may actually have to get a BMW G650 GS --- I gotta do me summa DAT !

·
Registered
739 Posts
Note the posters comment
"I won't do it again. Versys is not designed for this"
I agree, the Versys with the suspension it has is a pure street bike.
The bike's geometry lends itself to take some nicely graded gravel as well, because you can easily ride the Versys standing, but that's about it.

The suspension needs some radical changes to be able to easily handle a road like that.

Back on topic:
SW Motech crash bars was one of the first things that I installed when I got my Versys. I think the HB and SWM crash bars don't look ugly on the Versys and with me weighing 220 lbs I didn't think the extra weight of the bars would ruin the ride.
Even if I never go down with the Versys, I appreciate the peace of mind that the crash bars and hand guards give, that to me is worth the price of admission. YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts