Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I recently purchased a gently used 2020 V1000. Today I discovered that the bike has an actual fuel range of 176.2 miles… Ask me how I know…. LOL…. I was on my 3rd tank of gas since buying the bike.

The Owners manual says that when the last segment starts blinking, you have 1.1 gallons remaining. On the first 2 tanks the blinking started at around 135-140 miles. I filled the tank at 165. But it only took 3.5 gals for a fuel economy of 47 MPG.

Kawasaki claims the fuel capacity is 5.5 gallons. In theory the blinking should not have started until about 207 miles (4.4 gals X 47 mpg). So I drew the false conclusion that gas gauge was highly inaccurate, Because I only put in 3.5 gallons at fill Time. I fill on the center stand, and when the nozzle clicks off, I put jut a bit more in, but its still at least an inch below the filler opening.

Turns out today the blinking started at about 130 miles on the trip ODO. I went 176 before she chugged to a stop. Anybody else experience this? Seems like the actual fuel available is about 3.75 gallons… Is it possible the Kawasaki spec is wrong?

What say you?

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
2019 V1K, I regularly go 170 to 200 mi between fill ups. Never see the light come on. I'm getting about the same MPG. When I fill the tank I let the fuel come up into the "neck" about half way up. I always fill the tank when on the side stand but I bet more fuel could be added if the bike was on the center stand. Going from memory but I think the fill up is usually between 3.7 and 4.2 gallons. Even at 200mi the distance to empty on the dash is usually over 50miles left (take that with a grain of salt though). Bottom line is the bike is not running on fumes at 200mi.

Try filling the fuel all the way up and into the neck. I have to pull the nozzle partially out to accomplish this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
2019 V1K, I regularly go 170 to 200 mi between fill ups. Never see the light come on. I'm getting about the same MPG. When I fill the tank I let the fuel come up into the "neck" about half way up. I always fill the tank when on the side stand but I bet more fuel could be added if the bike was on the center stand. Going from memory but I think the fill up is usually between 3.7 and 4.2 gallons. Even at 200mi the distance to empty on the dash is usually over 50miles left (take that with a grain of salt though). Bottom line is the bike is not running on fumes at 200mi.

Try filling the fuel all the way up and into the neck. I have to pull the nozzle partially out to accomplish this.
When the "nozzle clicks off" depends on how far you have it inserted into the hole...
of the fuel tank... not to be confused with the hole, or the nozzle, the Bishop was referring to during his conversation with the barmaid.

Dont stick your nozzle so far in and you will fill the tank more.
You can even keep adding fuel (very slowly) after the filler neck
is submerged. I'm not sure if you are talking US gallons or real gallons
but both my V650 and my ZX12R easily hold more than what's specified in the owners manual... too.

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
What say you?
Steve I say you are underfilling the bike.

There's no need to fill it until fuel pours out the top, but the nebulous "til it clicks then a bit more" means you don't really have any clue how full it is. Maybe one nozzle clicks off earlier than another etc. Rest the tip of the nozzle against the filler neck and just shoot the fuel straight into the filler hole. Kinda like your mom taught you as a kid. Ease off when fuel comes up into the neck. Wait a sec for the bubbles to disappear and put some more in. Do it again if you like.

On the way through and just for fun do your "one inch" regular fill, take note of the pump meter and then continue filling to see how much extra YOU can fit in.

The proper way to find the answers you seek involves strapping on a big jerry can and measuring.

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
Only ONCE did I ever have someone come out of the gas-station to tell me NOT to fill-up that way.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Only ONCE did I ever have someone come out of the gas-station to tell me NOT to fill-up that way.
Some servos down here wont even let you fill your bike if your helmet is on.
Every time that happens to me I raise merry hell, saying that in the
event of a fire the helmet offers some protection.

There is a potential problem with filling the bike while one is sitting on it... particularly with the stand not deployed.
I'd bet $100 that the following has happened:
Someone... possibly two/three??? while sitting on the bike, has overfilled the tank, the fuel has splashed onto the hot exhaust, the spilled fuel ignited, which inturn has probably ignited the fuel already in the tank.
The "victim" filling his tank has panicked... from the fuel "exploding" into his face hands and body, and has departed the bike with an undeployed stand. The bike has fallen so the fuel
in the tank is now gurgling out of the very full tank feeding the fire even more.

A pretty spectacular and possibly tragic scenario.

Because of the above possibility I do not fuel up sitting on the bike
stand deployed or not.
Having said that, for one with a steady and level
head it may be ok... and the risk/benefit ratio may justify the added risk. 😐

·
Registered
27 Posts
Longest I've gone 230 miles once and I coasted into a gas station . I don't recall the amount I put in but i know it was over 5 gals. I have registered 215 miles a few times. I reset my tripA each time, the gas gauge is so miss leading. Drive over a 100 miles and it says 3/4 full. Drive to 190 miles it starts blinking. At 215miles one bar screaming at you, at 230 no bars and sputtering. I drive mainly hwy, and back roads. Occasionally ill drive light dirt roads.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 v650
314 Posts
Mileage May Vary.....

overfilling/underfilling.... over revving/under revving...constant throttle/ inconsistent speeds...
Time over distance, the basic calculation for speed aka velocity. Same as say the mileage/distance divided by the gallons used.....How much fuel is actually in the tank? How much is in the fuel system after the tank is "empty"???

really the one and "true" way to calculate gallons and mileage used is to only burn a set amount. and then only repeat that same thing over and over. till its dry and on and on.

Some people rely on "true" standards alone to judge the mileage. However we have things as silly as altitude, fuel quality, temperature for expansion etc. etc. etc. etc. etc..And then the big one is always the "Human Factor"..

Really what does all this get us in the end?

somewhere, maybe not where we started. or in circles....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mileage May Vary.....

overfilling/underfilling.... over revving/under revving...constant throttle/ inconsistent speeds...
Time over distance, the basic calculation for speed aka velocity. Same as say the mileage/distance divided by the gallons used.....How much fuel is actually in the tank? How much is in the fuel system after the tank is "empty"???

really the one and "true" way to calculate gallons and mileage used is to only burn a set amount. and then only repeat that same thing over and over. till its dry and on and on.

Some people rely on "true" standards alone to judge the mileage. However we have things as silly as altitude, fuel quality, temperature for expansion etc. etc. etc. etc. etc..And then the big one is always the "Human Factor"..

Really what does all this get us in the end?

somewhere, maybe not where we started. or in circles....

I reckon the issue is simple and is easily addressed,

1. Zero the trip meter when you fill up.

2. Next time you fill up fill to the same level and record
the distance travelled on the trip meter and divide that
by the amount of fuel registered on the bowser...
which of course give you miles per gallon or kilometres per litre. If you happen to be metric.

If your riding varies much, ie traveling a few kilometres back and forth to the grocery store
and traveling interstate will give different results.

Having said that fuel consumption and range should really not be an issue if you are going
to the grocery store around the corner.

What is an issue however is the amount of usable fuel your fuel tank can actually yield.
One way to determine that, is to:

a. Carry a couple of litres of fuel with you when you
are low on fuel and ride until you run out of fuel.

b. Pour the (known amount of) fuel
you have in your bottle/s into your tank.

c. Zero the trip meter, because you will need to calculate
how much juice you used to get to the petrol station... (in the step e..)
using the MPG or KPL from your average fuel consumption
outlined in steps 1 and 2 above

d. ride to the closest petrol station and record the amount of fuel
that fitted into the tank.

e. add the amount of fuel out of your bottles and subtract the amount
used to get you to the service station. That is the amount of usable
fuel your tank can hold.

For accuracy and maximum range,
make sure the tank is filled to the
same point every time and well and truly FULL.

Of course, keeping in mind you will get better fuel economy
travelling from the top of Pikes Peak down to sea level,
than from sea level to the top of Pikes Peak... or
doing full throttle, full rev laps of Infineon Raceway.
....................................... :devilish:................................................

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
I STRONGLY advise AGAINST ever running the gas-tank 'dry' on a fuel-injected machine. Your fuel pump is COOLED by the fuel!

I paid in the vicinity of $700 to replace the fuel pump in my F-150 after running it dry on one of its two fuel-pumps...!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts