Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Interesting... The right leg handles spring functions, using a larger main spring/rod assembly than traditional forks, and a small amount of oil for lubrication. The left leg handles damping functions, and has no spring. It contains only a cartridge damper assembly and fork oil. Separate Function Fork reduces friction by 25%, lowers weight and is easier to adjust than conventional forks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Leave it to Invader to produce a cutaway. cool pix. I guess this is just another thing proving the V is ahead of the pack, or yea, it's just cheaper. I'm happy with my half-a-fork.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe, maybe not, I cannot say it is better or cheaper or both or neither.
Honda Goldwing has the same cheap, lousy setup with springs that are the same as used on a 250cc bike. The result is a harsh, undersprung suspension. I spent $2,500 having Traxxion rebuild my Goldwing suspension with racing cartridges in both legs.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Cheaper, lighter, faster on the track, quicker adjustments... The KX250F runs in a highly competitive motocross racing class, and is subject to frequent technological advances. The primary objective is to win races as they do, and not so much cutting costs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My 07 Yamaha FZ1 had compression on one and rebound on another...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
... The right leg handles spring functions, ...
The left leg handles damping functions, and has no spring.
Well that shoots down my theory that spring imbalance creates an unacceptable torsional load on the axel/mounts. :eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is a very common practice in almost everything that uses a dual leg suspension set-up; including high-end mountain bike shocks/forks.

As invader essentially points out, the functional advantages generally far outweight the disadvantages. I would suspect very few riders have the riding ability/skill to "out-ride" such a suspension set-up, and are thus better served by the reduction in production costs, etc. Even though many think they can...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well that shoots down my theory that spring imbalance creates an unacceptable torsional load on the axel/mounts. :eek:
Don't beat yourself up too hard just yet. Remember that we are talking about a bike that weighs in at about 240 lbs. wet and has 47 mm USD forks and triple clamp that are designed to take the abuse of MX racing. The engine on the Versys weighs about the same as a whole KX250... ;) With a mush higher mass to support, the torsional forces on the forks are also much higher and most street bikes don't have the benefit of those robust forks, triple clamp and axle setup.

Gustavo

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
"SFF (Separate Function Fork) separates spring and damping functions for improved performance, 25 percent less stiction, lower weight and easier adjustability. In addition to the natural reduction in stiction provided by the SFF design, the KX250F’s fork sliders are titanium oxide coated. Lower stiction and better overall fork action are keys to the new fork’s performance, and they are traits you’ll appreciate the first time you charge into a bump-infested corner at speed."

With its new battery-less Digital Fuel Injection system, Showa SFF, etc, 2011 KX250F MSRP is $7299 compared to 2010's $6999.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
... Remember that we are talking about a bike that weighs in at about 240 lbs. wet and has 47 mm USD forks and triple clamp that are designed to take the abuse of MX racing. ...
Thanks for the additional info... it takes some of the edge off...

I guess there’s also some `balance’ of the load in that while one tube is resisting the bounce with spring compression, the other is resisting it with the hydraulic damping.

I just have a hard time accepting anything that’s not symmetrical – no matter how well it actually works. I mean, just look at the drive chain on one side of the wheel ... and then there’s the whole issue of the 180 degree firing order?! Oh dear! I have to stop now... I’m getting the vapors & beginning to twitch! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts