Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I thought I'd stop by here and make a quick introduction and then get to posting my questions and answers elsewhere on the forum.

My name is Bo (if you haven't already skipped down to the bottom to read my signature) and I'm a non-owner, but am very interested in the Versys model. I've even taken to calling ver-sus rather than ver-sigh. I'm learning. :thumb:

I've been on two wheels for about 10 years now and have owned way more bikes than any man need to, and I'm shopping again for this coming summer. :)

random image for no reason

I started out on a 1978 Suzuki 750, to a Suzuki Intruder 800, Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, an SV 650/S, my Fat Cat, a couple of Valkyries, Yamaha FJR, Suzuki Wee-Strom and now my current Concours.

I'm not in love with the Concours and miss both my Valkyrie Interstate and the 650 V-Strom. So off to the want ads and dealerships I go!

Since the V-Strom was ending up higher on my list than another Valk, I went to my local dealership to look at the updated ABS model (not available back in 2005) and they had the new KLR as well as the Versys on the floor. I'd thrown my leg over the KLR at the m/c shows in Detroit last year, but didn't get to see the new Versys. Too bad... I may have gotten here sooner!

I must say that I'm really impressed. The bike looks good, feels good and has a decent amount of accessories for it already. The ride reports keep pointing out all the same high and low points for the model which impresses me even more with the quantity of reporters out there - everyone agrees. Great bike.

So now I'm thinking... I like the new blue color, but I also like low prices. :clap: Do I go new and get the stock blue color or buy a used 2008 and paint it whatever blue I want? Decisions, decisions. :)

Wish me luck!

I'm sure I'll be around for a bit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Versys

My 1st 750 was a 1978 GS750EC, man that was a great bike, We can tell you our opinions but in the end you need to decide. There's something to be said for owning a new bike if you are willing to pay the $ for it. You don't have to worry what the previous owner did but of course there are deals out there on '08s that you could paint whatever color you wanted. Personally I think the Red is the nicest color for the Versys but I would have been equally happy with a blue.......being on the fence is the easy part.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's something to be said for owning a new bike if you are willing to pay the $ for it. You don't have to worry what the previous owner did...
Yup. Exactly. But this bike looks to be a bit different than most of the other used bikes I've looked at. It like the 2008s that are for sale were mistake purchases. Many of them are already below $5500 and have less than 3000 miles. And any farkles are included in most sales.

Most of the used bikes I've shopped for in the past either have average miles and a lower price or lower miles and a higher price. Not lower miles and a lower price. It's just hard to swallow that $1300-1500 loss in the first year.

And how much damage could one person do in under 3000 miles? :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yup. Exactly. But this bike looks to be a bit different than most of the other used bikes I've looked at. It like the 2008s that are for sale were mistake purchases. Many of them are already below $5500 and have less than 3000 miles. And any farkles are included in most sales.

Most of the used bikes I've shopped for in the past either have average miles and a lower price or lower miles and a higher price. Not lower miles and a lower price. It's just hard to swallow that $1300-1500 loss in the first year.

And how much damage could one person do in under 3000 miles? :D
I think that the Economic situation especially state side has a lot to do with all the toys on the market , people are trying to unload debt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed.

Even more reason to keep paying cash for the toys. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts