Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know how you got or came up with your user name?

I got mine from my dirt bike buddy's. when we would go riding/camping, I decided we should go when there is a full moon out and ride at 12:00 midnight when the moon was straight up on a clear night. So after riding all day we would have dinner and sit around the camp fire drink beer talk about the days ride, shoot our pellet guns at beer cans, you know the usual stuff. Then at 12 o'clock we head out on our bikes. On a clear night, once on the ridges lights were not needed, we didn't even have lights. it was so different than riding during the day and we had a blast. So every now and then, I would organize these rides and my buddy's started calling me night rider.

OK, lets here your story!:thumb:

Donn

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Just a FAST OLD MAN-fastoman. office mates call me that because of the speed tickets I collect and the speed I drive the CAR not BIKE.:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have been using Big Aussie for a while on bicycling and other forums as I am (a) an Australian and (b) a big guy at 6' and 250 lb (and down 10 - 15# from where I was)

I would like to be Not-So-Big Aussie but I will need to ride the bicycle more than the V. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is in memorium of my pick-up I used to have before my son ran it into a telephone pole! He was unscratched...my poor truck was not :( Was a 1999 Dodge Dakota with a V8

·
Registered
54 Posts
i sent a email to a friend giving him the results of some medical tests i had done. and letting him know that i had been diagnosed with MS. (multiple sclerosis) He sent back "is MS that multiple SKULLROSES thing" it's been my user name for everything ten years running...lol

·
Registered
901 Posts
Offcamber...when I was big into 4 wheeling this is how I spent a lot of time....ie tilted to one side or the other. I also had a small business for a while selling Jeep and truck accessories call Off-Camber Outfitters.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well I was born and grew up in Dallas, been around the world, and now retired in Dallas. Oh, my first name is Don.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pretbek literally means "funmouth" in Dutch (my native language). :huh:

Or more colloquial: Face of someone who is obviously having fun.
I seem to suffer from this a lot when riding the Versys...

My license plate means "for fun", same theme.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I play (semi-retired) Upright Bass professionally. Someone just tagged me with the name years ago. I also work on a Buell single (known as a Thumper) quite often.
Funny, as I was just looking at members names last night was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Pretbek literally means "funmouth" in Dutch (my native language). :huh:

Or more colloquial: Face of someone who is obviously having fun.
I seem to suffer from this a lot when riding the Versys...

My license plate means "for fun", same theme.

I've always wondered!! Pretty cool, now that I know!!! :thumb:

I play (semi-retired) Upright Bass professionally. Someone just tagged me with the name years ago. I also work on a Buell single (known as a Thumper) quite often.
Funny, as I was just looking at members names last night was thinking the same thing.
And all this time I thought you owned a thumper, as in single cylinder 4 stroke bike. Another cool one!! :thumb:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Rick, did I miss something or did you not let us in on your handle? I am going to guess it was a toy from your youth. Or, possibly you used to work at the circus?
Ssshhh!

He doesn't like to talk about it. I believe he can still get rather upset when he remembers that bear, the one that rode his bicycle without his permission...

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Rick, did I miss something or did you not let us in on your handle? I am going to guess it was a toy from your youth. Or, possibly you used to work at the circus?

Work for the circus!! You're killin me here!! HAhaha!!

No, nothing so noble.

Long story, I'll try to keep it short.

I had an 11 year hiatus from riding, so my current group of coworkers had no idea I was a biker. Now admittedly, most of my riding experience before the Versys was dirt bike or dual sport. So to get back into riding again, I bought a brand spanking new DRZ 400S. I'd mentioned it to the fellas & they were shocked, not knowing I had a wild side (heh heh), so naturally they wanted me to ride it to work. And I wanted to ride it too, but you know military installations & their vehicle rules. At that time, you had to register it on base & get a sticker, which you had to display for the gate guards.

So it took a few days, but I eventually rode it to work. Now, I am a 6' 1" man, with quite a girth. I think I was around 240 or 250 at the time. It's been a few years, but that's probably about right. So I looked HUGE on that little DRZ. And wouldn't you know it, the first morning I rode it to work, quite a few of the fellas gathered out in the parking lot & were waiting for me to pull in. As I'm riding up, I see the group. "Ah looky there", I thought, "a fan club!" I'm all feeling proud of myself, and grinning like a 'possum. I pull up in front of 'em, put the kickstand down, shut the bike off & dismount. As I take my helmet off, struggling past my super wide smile, one of the group said quite loud, "You look like a bear on a bicycle!!" And the whole group busted up laughing.

Needless to say, this took the wind out of my sails at he moment, but as I thought about it, it fit. And it was pretty damned funny!! So shortly thereafter, I joined my very first internet forum, ThumperTalk, as Bear on a bicycle. And I found this bitchin avatar, so I've stayed BOAB ever since.

:D

Oh, and a follow up, one of the guys told me shortly after I got the Versys that I didn't look like a bear on a bicycle any more. He said I finally bought a grown up bike.

:D :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats priceless bear thanks for sharing, great stuff everyone, I'm enjoying this very much.:clap:

Donn

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Back when I was in middle school AOL Instant Messenger was very popular with my age group. I needed a new name for it.

I played hockey at the time for a team called the Hawks. The shot is like a slap shot, and my # was 99. Combine it all together and you get Hawkshot99. Every forum I have used I have always used this name.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I am kiwi and was 41 at time but now 42 so please call me kiwi 42 not very original but some of the names people call me would not be suitable for a handle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts