Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2009 Street Triple 675 with 23,000 miles on the clock. Doesn't sound like the valves have ever been checked and the service manual calls for a check/adjustment every 12,000 miles. Would this be a deal breaker?

I've been looking at some other used bikes as well. It doesn't seem like a lot of people keep service records. Maybe I'm just OCD about maintaining my bikes but I keep a detailed spreadsheet on all the work I do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If they skipped the valve check, what else might they have skipped? I wouldn't say it would be a deal breaker, but would definitely give you power to offer less, since there are probably things you'll need to do before you ride it, especially on a 13 year old bike.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I write maintenance performed in the back of the owner's manual for every vehicle I've owned, which goes back to 1978. I now also keep detailed documents on computer where it is easier to include more info.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am anal about service records. :LOL:
I am now. I wasn't until I started riding. Most bikes require pretty regular maintenance. Maybe its because I'm looking on Facebook marketplace, but out of the dozen or so bikes I've asked about, only one had detailed records for everything but the valves.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I'm looking at a 2009 Street Triple 675 with 23,000 miles on the clock. Doesn't sound like the valves have ever been checked and the service manual calls for a check/adjustment every 12,000 miles. Would this be a deal breaker?

I've been looking at some other used bikes as well. It doesn't seem like a lot of people keep service records. Maybe I'm just OCD about maintaining my bikes but I keep a detailed spreadsheet on all the work I do.
I would say if you can get it for low NADA value knowing you might have to put a couple dollars into it and you want it, go for it. Unfortunately, low NADA is too rich for my blood these days. Used bike values in this inflationary plus low availability time have made me reconsider buying any bikes until the next recession.

I have picked up used bikes cheap, caught them up on their maintenance, enjoyed them, and then sold for close to what I paid for them, but not sure if that can be done with the current market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts