Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Used Bike Checklist

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  blipco 
#1 ·
Found an 08 Versys with some minor farkles (corbin seat, hard bags, Vario(?) windscreen, mirror extenders, etc.) with low mileage (4500) for a decent price. Seller is the second owner, no service records. Anything I should pay particularly close attention to when I go look at it. I expect it to need some tires and have some scratches and I am not going to ask how many times the seat has been farted on just wondering if there is anything I should look for or feel for when I test ride it.

Thanks

D

#2 ·
Some of the fellas have had coolant leaking from around the water pump area. Probably wouldn't hurt to check. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying, unless the thing is out of coolant. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. It's a pretty low mileage bike, so if it's been stored inside, it should be in good shape. However, one of my red flags, is evidence it's been stored outside, like rust all over the little bits & pieces.

Good luck Drew!

We're still on for tomorrow??

#3 ·
Re the Corbin Seat some find the 'hard' for a start, so don't be taken by surprise.

Good luck with the V-Shopping

#4 ·
It's a very robust design, not much breaks on them. I don't know if you're asking in a more general sense but if it were an older bike I'd check lots of stuff, starting with the condition of the perishables such as chain and sprockets. Make sure you can see oil in the sight glass. Check how much brake pad material is left. Pull in the clutch and feel if there's any resistance. How much tire life is left. None of these things are deal breakers but they give you some leverage when negotiating a price with the seller.

On this particular bike I would check that the chain was adjusted correctly, i.e. enough slack. If the chain was kept super tight I would be concerned about the countershaft bearing. Also the clutch cable has been a problem for some owners due to the way it is routed around the headstock.

Otherwise you'll be getting a superb moto. Good luck.

#5 ·
Exactly.
Just check for usual suspects and wear.
There aren't any 'deal-breakers' aspects if the bike has low mileage and is generally well kept.
I can tell you that it can take a crash really well. Mine has been in one, but I still consider it 'as-new'.
Those additions you mentioned are very nice and useful, it should sweeten the deal.

Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.