Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I am currently doing a cross country tour of the US. In my first leg of the journey, I was planning to ride from Houston to Chicago. However, due to some personal reasons, I planned to come back.

On my way back ,near St.Louis, I started to hear a loud thumping noise from the engine. It feels like the exhaust note got a bit lower and louder. I suspect it is because of low engine oil. I changed the engine oil only once with the dealer(it was the first oil change at 600 miles). I do not know what brand/ type the dealer used. Is it okay if I top off the engine oil with some good suitable oil (SAE 10W-40) from the market, or do I need the exact same brand?

Please let me know.

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
Hello Guys,

I am currently doing a cross country tour of the US. In my first leg of the journey, I was planning to ride from Houston to Chicago. However, due to some personal reasons, I planned to come back.

On my way back ,near St.Louis, I started to hear a loud thumping noise from the engine. It feels like the exhaust note got a bit lower and louder. I suspect it is because of low engine oil. I changed the engine oil only once with the dealer(it was the first oil change at 600 miles). I do not know what brand/ type the dealer used. Is it okay if I top off the engine oil with some good suitable oil (SAE 10W-40) from the market, or do I need the exact same brand?

Please let me know.

As long as its rated JASO-MA2....Your Golden

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like other people said but .... are you sure it's from the oil? What's the level when you look at the glass? How many miles do you currently have (from the last oil change)? It might be something else that needs attention.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Loud thumping? I think there might be a little more going on there.....

Let us know what happened when you get back to the Dealer

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
Is it okay to mix oils in emergency?

It's OK to mix oils ANY TIME, as long as you use oils suitable for wet-clutches, but like others have posted - are you SURE the sound is related to low-oil level?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I started to hear a loud thumping noise from the engine. It feels like the exhaust note got a bit lower and louder. I suspect it is because of low engine oil.
I suspect that it is not. If your oil level was that low (as in empty) the oil light would come on a few minutes before the engine seized.

Engines do not usually make loud thumping noises. More info, please.
Look elsewhere for your issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Plus, it's very easy to check the oil level. Make sure you do that first, before you do anything else. You don't want to overfill it too much with oil either.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lower and louder exhaust note sounds like an exhaust leak, on a pre-2015 bike I would suspect that maybe the muffler has loosened from the header pipe, on a 2015+, not sure as the stock exhaust is 1 piece, maybe leaking at the header?

If it is loud enough to hear at highway speed with a stock exhaust you have something seriously wrong going on there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lower and louder exhaust note sounds like an exhaust leak, on a pre-2015 bike I would suspect that maybe the muffler has loosened from the header pipe, on a 2015+, not sure as the stock exhaust is 1 piece, maybe leaking at the header?

If it is loud enough to hear at highway speed with a stock exhaust you have something seriously wrong going on there.
The OP is on a 300x. It's either a 2017 or 2018.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Guys,

Managed to figure out the issue. There was a major crack on the exhaust just a few inches from the engine. I guess it was acting as a muffler delete causing the exhaust note to go down and the motorcycle to get a lot louder.

How would you reccomend fixing the crack in the exhaust?

Can you reccomend some good after market exhaust systems?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Could you have hit a rock or something?

Any good welder can weld it up but you describe a crack a few inches from the engine which is unheard of, and very unusual.

How about some more information? Bike age, mileage, and if you take it offroad, or have had a fall. I'd definitely be checking out a possible warranty claim before having it welded. A pic or two would also be helpful.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Its basically a car exhaust...I remember fixing a hole on a car muffler years ago with "muffler tape" I think. Weld is better. Thats a pricey item new! Or time to try a Cherry Bomb!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I used muffler tape once, long ago, on a tailpipe. I think the header may be too hot and too high pressure for the tape. First I'd see if it is under warranty, and if so is it a failure due to manufacturing/materials? If so, have the dealer replace the exhaust.

If it is some kind of impact damage or out of warranty, I'd first take it to a good shop to see if it can be welded cheaply.

Failing that, what the heck give muffler tape a try. Worst case is it doesn't work. But I wouldn't try something like tape or patch until other options are exhausted. ...

·
Premium Member
9,203 Posts
Pictures & Warranty

As in the title, cracks are usually stress, trying to weld that, not a good idea unless you don't care. My exhaust is a alloy, be aware when welding alloys , special welding rods of the same material is used, also where stress is concerned , it is preheated, welded, then it goes through a annealing process. Warranty status and photos would be helpful .

·
Registered
457 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts