Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
And these are DOT legal? Hella makes H7 bubls for $50 for two (thats Canadian$$)

·
Registered
6 Posts
brighter lighs

I put in some H7 NOKYA Artic white. They give off a bluish light. Looks cool on the blue V.... I'll paid $22. for the pair. (canadian),
I made a few changes.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Osram's Hyper H7 clear 65 watt bulb (bigger H9 burner on H7 base) from their high-wattage rally and professional offroad bulb line are not DOT legal, but are a great upgrade. They offer 2100 lumens and a 500 hour life, compared to:
1780 lumens, 340 hours for the Osram Night Breaker with slight blue tint.
1750 lumens, 350 hours for the Osram Silverstar (not Sylvania) also with slight blue tint.
I got them from http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=164 for $21 each + $8 shipping to Canada.

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=421&highlight=bulb

·
Registered
429 Posts
I know not many will agree, but I think anything with a bluish tint sucks. I'd do some research on how our eyes work at night before buying any fancy tinted bulbs. Other frequencies in the color spectrum are being filtered out if the bulb puts out blue tinted light. This means you're getting less light output, not more (unless you boost the wattage). There are a few websites that get into the specifics.

I'm all for more light output, just not with any funky blue squidly tinting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any of you tried a HID kit? Is there any available for the Versys or any H7 kit will work? Does it worth it? Any suggestions of kit?

I read the it gives 2800 to 3100 lumens (depends on the color) for only 35 watts (instead of 55 watts). I know, it's more expensive, but for me, brighter = more vision = safer!

·
Registered
272 Posts
just install a pair of Ignition H7 bulbs I paid $15 buck for them they read 4500k (not blue just very white) , the only issue I had was removing the fairing but no biggy

·
Registered
624 Posts
75w H7 bulbs, Very white color, JC Whitney, 14 bucks (US) each.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the link Motordog1 & Invader! Slightly better pricing than both Daniel Stern & Susquehanna Motorsports (both of which I usually use exclusively.) Shipping was $12.00.. that was a crock of crap but still a good overall price.

These will make a significant improvement in forward lighting! I'm psyched.... :D

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I put the OSRAM H7 in about a week ago and it is awesome. Not quite a HID, but when you adjust your headlight so that it isn't pointing at the front tire these work great.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just installed mine today... low beam only. Also adjusted the height a bit more upwards while I was in there. What a PITA to get at. Oh well, it's done.

I'll have to get a little night time riding in tonight to evaluate. Should be a nice upgrade!

I hope.... :D

Jim

·
Registered
469 Posts
I put just the low beam in and adjusted the light upwards yesterday. Drove around on dark neighborhood streets last night. All I could say is I had a very good view for a long way out. Fantastic. The view was wide too which was nice compared to my previous bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One caution about the bluer lights. During rain or fog, you will find that you have reduced viability as the blue light tends to be absorbed by the rain drops. That's why fog lights are yellowish in color.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I found a H7 Silverstar in my garage today and when I try to installed on my bike, I can't even reach the wiring. I only have a medium size hands and I never have to take off any fairing on any of my pass bikes just to change light bulb.

Is there a trick to changing bulbs? Or I have to take off fairing? If so, which fairing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi LAVersys,

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2424&highlight=bulbs

Service manual Electrical system 16-55 to 57.

:goodluck:
Thanks STLEE29.

I can't believed it is so hard to change the bulbs on the versys, removing both middle fairings and headlight assembly!!! Wow, first bike ever that I had that is so hard to change bulbs!!! I might just stick with what I got in there right now. If I am going to remove the fairing, I might as well put in a HID! Hmmmm... I might just do that...

Thanks for the information about bulbs. Just wondering, which bulbs do you use?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
G'Day LAVersys,

To change the H7 bulbs on V is a bit of a chore but it's not to bad.
I'm using Phillips Extreme Power. I asked about the Osram Hyper 65W bulb but it shipping cost to Malaysia is as the price of the bulb itself:(
The Phillips is said to have a shorter lifespan than the Osram but it's bright enough for me.
What I have noticed is the V lights need to be adjusted to get its full effect.
Check V service manual section periodic maintenance 2-39.

Bulb type discussion http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2672&highlight=bulb

Glad to help.:goodluck:

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts