Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris from Woody’s told me today that they no longer can source hubs for the Versys 650. The machine shop making them closed plus the demand for them was not high enough to justify getting another shop to make them. They were selling for $900 front and $1,300 rear list price which he thought was the reason they didn’t sell. Looks like the V-Strom 1000 front is the only option.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You would be wasting $ to gain a lousy 1/2" on impact height with the same 5.9" road suspension.
Meanwhile you should be happy to have tubeless wheels, not spokes and tubes.
You should rather raise the fender and put 120/90 tires for the same outer diameter for a lot less $, and it's reversible.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Chris from Woody’s told me today that they no longer can source hubs for the Versys 650. The machine shop making them closed plus the demand for them was not high enough to justify getting another shop to make them. They were selling for $900 front and $1,300 rear list price which he thought was the reason they didn’t sell. Looks like the V-Strom 1000 front is the only option.
did you miss the other recent thread on RAD hub/spokes?

the 19" DL1000 wheel has never been the only option.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
You should rather raise the fender and put 120/90 tires for the same outer diameter for a lot less $, and it's reversible.
Or raise the front fender and run a 130/80 REAR tire up front.

Here a 120/70 OEM Dunlop...

DSC07513 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and here a 130/80 METZLER Tourance.

DSC07589 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
2015 Versys 650 LT, setup for a bit of off pavement riding.
36 Posts
Since you can slap a vstrom front wheel into the Versys, I wonder if getting Woody's to build with a Suzuki compatible hub would work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You would be wasting $ to gain a lousy 1/2" on impact height with the same 5.9" road suspension.
Meanwhile you should be happy to have tubeless wheels, not spokes and tubes.
Yeah, that's gonna be my step 1 just to try it. The "issue" from what I gather is the only 120/90 is a 80/20 (Mitas MC24 or something). That should work for my riding, but someone wanting knobbier/dirt/sand is out of luck.

I've seen a 130/80 which is same/similar diameter but a 130 on the front doesn't interest me.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
...I've seen a 130/80 which is same/similar diameter but a 130 on the front doesn't interest me.
the 130/80-17 front shouldn't interest you. it was the only option in an off pavement 17" front 10-12 years ago, although the 130/80 also performed extremely well for the long distance trip riders. now there are a number of much better options for the Versys front wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the 130/80-17 front shouldn't interest you. it was the only option in an off pavement 17" front 10-12 years ago, although the 130/80 also performed extremely well for the long distance trip riders. now there are a number of much better options for the Versys front wheel.
Yeah, that's not the way I want to go. I'll try a 120/90 as a proof of concept and keep looking for a great deal on a DL1000 wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts