Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the city and would like to lock up my bike. I was thinking about getting the factory U lock that stores under seat but it is over 100 bucks. I am also an avid cyclist and know that they are not usually that expensive even for a good one. Anyone tried another brand that fits well? Or does anyone favor a different kind of lock (cable, disk rotor, etc.)?

Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use Krytonite U-Lock, about $60, It's long and sturdy. I generally insert the lock from right side of the bike over the rear spoke and through the swingarm. Anyone wants the bike bad enough will have to lift the bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Asus makes good locks. I have been fortunate never to find out just how good. I have one of their covered chain-like locks because, from what I have read, it is more difficult to cut something that slides than a stationary lock such as a u-lock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just picked my new 08 up yesterday and was wondering where the u-lock was. I was under the impression that it was included with the bike. No?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just picked my new 08 up yesterday and was wondering where the u-lock was. I was under the impression that it was included with the bike. No?
No, it's not included. There is a spot for it under the seat, but it's an optional part. I had not priced it, but it sounds like it's a danged expensive optional part at that. :mad:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Anybody's Using A Good Cable Type Lock That They Would Buy Again
I have a cable lock for use when my bike is parked outside overnight (never so far for the V). I'll bring it to the AMA races and lock my rear wheel to my buddie's front.

Double protection.

·
Registered
88 Posts
lock

I use a u-lock that I had for my mountain bike...it fits under the seat perfect...it was a good quality lock when I bought it years ago, made of hardened steel, not sure if its as good as the one they make specifically for a motorcycle, but I figure it offers some security...I never leave my bike unattended for too long anyway.....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I got a 6' 18mm heavy duty cable lock from REI for US$22.00. I'm sure heavy duty cable cutters would trash it. But I use it for threading through my jacket and helmet-an idea from a fellow V rider-and then through the wheel. Enough to put low lifes off I hope.

Machog

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I use a small alarm that locks on the disc brake. it is sensitive, if I move the bike in the back, it starts the alarm, so if I want to touch the bike I have to unlock it.
seems pretty strong, I don't see how somebody can remove it without damaging the disc.
something like this disc-lock, but not this one:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a similar disk lock as well. I like it because it is small and fits in the tank bag easily. Can't move the bike with it on......

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use a small alarm that locks on the disc brake. it is sensitive, if I move the bike in the back, it starts the alarm, so if I want to touch the bike I have to unlock it.
seems pretty strong, I don't see how somebody can remove it without damaging the disc.
something like this disc-lock, but not this one:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/
I use this one

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XXSeries/XX14StainlessSteelFinish/page1/

No complaints but you have to remember that locks (of any type) and alarms are only to keep honest people honest. If a real thief wants your bike there is always ways around your security devices. The best defence against theft is vigilance, common sense and a good insurance policy ;).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Those disc/wheel lock units are nice... but I think I’d attach one of those aircraft type orange streamers to it that says Remove Before Takeoff! :thumb:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Those disc/wheel lock units are nice... but I think I’d attach one of those aircraft type orange streamers to it that says Remove Before Takeoff! :thumb:
No need for orange streamers to remind you to remove it before leaving as if you don't you'll be the first to know it’s still attached.
I guaranty you won't make that mistake twice... speaking for experience. LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
No need for orange streamers to remind you to remove it before leaving as if you don't you'll be the first to know it’s still attached.
I guaranty you won't make that mistake twice... speaking for experience. LOL
Mine came with an orange bungee type cord that slips over the disk lock and then slips over your clutch or brake lever to remind you that something is there....with that said, I still forgot to take it off once.....rolled about three inches and then "clank". Haven't done it since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for all the response. Does a 14mm (disc brake) pin fit or do I need a 10mm? I can not check it myself, my bike is in Asia at the moment but want a decent lock before I fly over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts