Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering purchasing a Versys in the near future. I got to sit on one recently and I absolutely loved it. I am curious however, how it is for two up riding. Not looking for distance riding really. But I cannot seem to find any pictures, and really no info on how comfortable the bike is for a passenger. My fiance is just under 5'7" tall and I suspect that she would feel fine on it.

So do any of you have pictures of two up, and or just info, opinioins on it? I hate to get any bike that she couldn't at least feel somewhat comfortable on the back of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey jednp,
My wife and I take frequent rides on our versys, extending in length of up to 3.5-4 hrs so far. Both of us are 5'8" tall and about the same weight. I won't tell who weighs more :)
Anyway, she is fairly comfortable up until around the 1.5-2 hr mark. After that I can really feel her moving around due to the lack of comfort on the pillion. I would say that if you are just taking short trips of less than two hours ride time you both should be fine even though you may experience a tolerable amount of discomfort. But, if you plan on riding longer, I would recommend looking into some extra padding for her or even a completely different saddle. We are planning on investing in the Corbin w/backrest very soon.
You could also benefit from an alternative saddle setup as well since the stock versys saddle really tends to push the person in the pilot position forward into a very uncomfortable position near the gas tank (dirt bike style nut crusher).
The versys is a great bike but the saddle is absolutely something they dropped the ball on. Don't let that scare you away though.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Odd, I thought the seat was very comfortable just sitting on it. Maybe riding it makes it feel different? Perhaps the fact that I'm 6' tall sits me in a position that it doesn't bother me, compared to your 5'8". I sat on the Yamaha FZ6 today and that seemed to push me forward into the tank a bit, uncomfortable! The Versys felt nice and plush to me. Guess maybe it's different for the individual.

But yeah, the only trips I will be taking will be up to maybe 1 hour with both of us. And that will be few and far between. Running out to the lake which is only a few miles, and the occasional trip to Estes Park! Though I will likely pull it up there on a trailer, and ride from there. Not feeling like riding 300 miles from where I live.

From the sounds of it, the bike seems it would be comfortable for both of us. I was looking at the corbin seat with backrest today too, and I think I would likely buy that just for the backrest alone. I imagine it would be more comfortable for the passenger though. I think it would be worth the price, especially if it means she will want to go with me more often.

I know the bike fits me just fine, but since you and your wife are 5'8" and that's a little more than my fiance, she should be just fine on it height wise. If longer rides bother her, I guess that's why they invented a little thing called a break!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm 6'2, wifey is 5'. We've taken a few trips that last several hours. The first two hours is not a problem. Frequent stops help.

Luke

·
Registered
59 Posts
You are exactly right about breaks. You can always take one if needed.
I as well had the same thought when I sat on the versys in the dealership. I thought that the seat felt really comfortable but when it came to riding it I had a completely different opinion. It is possible however that your higher stature may help you out a little bit though. I think you are on the right track by considering the corbin....both for yourself and your significant other. Either way, the versys is way cheaper than most other bikes a person would take into consideration for purchase. Even if you add on another $700 or so for a saddle.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Two up riding

I've got 1,100 miles on my Versys and most of it has been with the wife. I've added the Givi brackets and a top case so she would have something to lean back against and it's been perfectly fine. I also bought a low gel seat to get closer to the ground as I'm 5'9" and want to ensure both feet are on the ground when she gets on and off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts