Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, taking a trip down memory lane … A question sometimes asked is what is the most important book you’ve read? For me it was “Two-Stroke Tuners Handbook” by Gordon Jennings. Spent a lot of time in the garage in my younger years working on stuff, from bicycles to lawnmowers to cars and motorcycles. Really didn’t know all that much but had a keen desire to learn. Learning was usually word of mouth or just “figuring it out”. Would read the motorcycle rags cover to cover trying to learn more. Was really into two stroke engines at the time so it was a no brainer buying Gordon’s book (very late 70’s). Was never much of a “book reader” but this one I couldn’t put down. Was really fascinated by the theoretical approach, especially the inclusion of mathematics used to describe physical principles. This set off an even greater desire to learn more culminating in a technical degree and working in a technical profession 10 years later. Fast forward 30 years and I’m still a “student” trying to learn more. Sadly Gordon passed away in 2000/2001. His book still sits prominently on my bookshelf, the same book that lit a spark in a somewhat lost kid 40 years ago.

Bio on Gordon Jennings at first link, downloadable version of the book at the second link.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NKRYLxEd6uAC&lpg=RA1-PA16&ots=ysolxx5Az7&dq=bio on gordon jennings two stroke&pg=RA1-PA10-IA27#v=onepage&q&f=true

http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a 1985 Yamaha RZ350, Kenny Roberts edition with pipes. Went from little power to high power in fairly short order. Amazing power for 350cc. Bike was really light and so much fun to ride. Couple of Youtube examples below.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
One of my all time two-stroke favorites was the 1972 Suzuki T500J I bought while in England. I liked it so much I shipped it back to the U.S. and rode it for several more years. It was know throughout the moto journalism community as the Blue Denim motorcycle - it just ran and ran and ran without wearing out, like a pair of jeans.

My major ownership error was selling it to someone for almost as much as I paid for it. Wish I still had it, and have been looking for a restored model to aid a trip down memory lane.

While in England I also emjoyed being a member of an amateur racing team that campaigned a Terry Sheppard Kawasaki 348cc twin, a 248cc Yamaha TD-C seven port and a Norton Commando production racer at, among other places, Snetterton, Cadwell Park, Brands Hatch, and the Manx Grand Prix for several years. Great fun but little success with terribly temperamental two strokes. Still, great memories. The sounds and smells of burning Castrol remain to this day.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Your cover of the 2001 CYCLE WORLD brought back MANY GREAT memories - Jennings, Egan, Edwards....

IF I remember correctly - the FIRST issue had a '62 Bonneville on the cover that the 'Cycle World' crew had just set a record at Bonneville w/.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts