Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought an '08 650, and I'm looking to put a set of Tusk Panniers on. I'm having a tough time understanding how these rack mounting systems work (I haven't chosen one yet). It seems like some are universal, but I can't tell which have mounting plate for you to drill into the panniers. It seems like the Happy Trails set-up might be a viable alternative because it comes with the racks. Any recommendations from someone who has this set up would be appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The below thread may help cut to the chase:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...4585-givi-plr450-side-case-mount-fitment.html

Short answer: Since you want Tusk panniers and Tusk doesn't make racks for the Versys, your objective is to choose which manufacturers' bracket kit to use/buy and then purchase panniers and hardware to mount the panniers to the brackets. The above link illustrates configurations for Givi brackets, as well as Happy Trails. You could probably also go with SW Motech brackets, but may be more $$.

NOTE: If you go with Givi know that: (1) avoid the Model # with the "X" because it has a contoured design that won't accept a flat pannier, and (2) you'll need to do some modification (at bag/pannier mounting points) because the Givi brackets are fabricated to accept corresponding Givi luggage (mounting points). Kballowe did a good job summarizing the needed fabrication to utilize the Givi brackets in the above link.

·
Super Moderator
20,751 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,751 Posts
TUSKs on my Gen 1 in AZ

Here are a few pics of BIG RED 'wearing' TUSK panniers....

and then getting similar lights to the GREEN HORNET's....

I used trailer-wiring for the disconnects (which worked as advertised when I low-sided in the Canadian Arctic, the left bag coming off w/out damaging wiring, altho' there was MUCH other damage!), and here's a pic....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.