Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe everyone knows this already but it was new to me

Watched a YouTube video and a guy showed how to turn off ABS on x300 without pulling fuse. I can't test this to see if it works because I don't have a center stand.
1. With engine running place bike on center stand.
2. Shift into first and then second and rev up to 7k rpm until new light on dashboard comes on, just took him a second.The ABS is now off.
4. The video showed him skidding and back wheel now locks up, didn't show front.

If you turn motor off and restart ABS will return. I know someone is willing to try this.

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
124 Posts
Maybe everyone knows this already but it was new to me

Watched a YouTube video and a guy showed how to turn off ABS on x300 without pulling fuse. I can't test this to see if it works because I don't have a center stand.
1. With engine running place bike on center stand.
2. Shift into first and then second and rev up to 7k rpm until new light on dashboard comes on, just took him a second.The ABS is now off.
4. The video showed him skidding and back wheel now locks up, didn't show front.

If you turn motor off and restart ABS will return. I know someone is willing to try this.
Sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen. ;)

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
672 Posts
Not necessarily an accident waiting to happen. When off road, it can be quite useful to be able to lock up the rear wheel. Arguably safer if you’re going down hill. I’ve ridden 50 yrs. had the Vx a little over a year now. It’s my first bike with abs.

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
124 Posts
I was referring to placing the bike on the center stand, putting it in 2nd gear, and revving it to 7k rpm. A good way to launch an X if you're not careful! 🚀

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've tried this method - it works. But I've never been in such a situation where I've wanted to skid the rear tire. The bike crawls pretty slow downhill in 1st gear, with no throttle.
I'm not much of an off-road rider though.

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
381 Posts
I used this method for turning of the ABS today. It works. This what I did:

1) Put the Wee-X on the centerstand.
2) Started the bike; ABS is OFF (ABS dash light is on)
-Note: I did try at this point to shift to 2nd gear and rev above 7000 rpm, ABS stayed OFF. (Dash light still on)
3) Got on the bike and rode it about 20 feet, ABS turned ON (ABS dash light went OFF)
4) Stopped the bike, but did not shut off the engine. ABS is ON (Dash Light OFF)
5) Put the bike on the centerstand with engine running, ABS ON.
6) Put the bike in second gear and revved to 7000 rpm; Dash light came ON, ABS is OFF.
7) Rode the bike around the block; ABS stayed OFF.
8) Stopped the bike and turned off the engine.
9) Started the bike, ABS is OFF, Rode 20 feet, ABS came back ON.

·
Super Moderator
21,681 Posts
When I bought my '15 V650 I went out and "tested" the ABS by doing stops, as well as using the rear brake on dirt. On MINE I was always able to LOCK the rear wheel just by applying the rear brakes on dirt.

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
381 Posts
When I bought my '15 V650 I went out and "tested" the ABS by doing stops, as well as using the rear brake on dirt. On MINE I was always able to LOCK the rear wheel just by applying the rear brakes on dirt.
Every bike I’ve had that had abs would not lock up either tire with the abs on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts