Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update on alarm, changed to visual LED, with a cheap fix as to brilliance using a load resistor to drop voltage.I removed the sonic alrm and installed a yellow LED trailer light , dimmed using a rsistor as we are talking something like 0.10 amp originally
I will be doing a change later this year, dual light level. Set for daytime use, by using a miniature waterproof switch. All I need to do is find it. Presently the LED is at about 20% brilliance. The switch will short out my simple voltage drop resistors.

Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
I've had both Signal Minder and STS..... Signal Minder replaces your flasher relay and is simply a timer... you set either 10, 20 or 30 seconds until signals cancel, no other choices.
STS works on accelerometers, so detects lean angle of turns and lane changes... and times out eventually in about 20 seconds if it doesn't cancel. For it to work well, you should plan a little in advance so that you are not leaning when you engage it.
Both of them require a mod to the signal switch but putting springs or foam... they work to momentarily engage a latching circuit, so the springs/foam simply put, make engaging the signal with a momentary switch action, not constant contact engagement as stock switch is.
Guess what I'm doing now..... training myself to use the stock method..... I'd like brighter dash indicators to remind me when I've left it on, the stock are a little dim. I did convert my VFR to bright LED's and that works very well for that. 'Spose one could wire up an LED to each signal and have it visible somewhere, simple and cheap.
Or one could send his cluster to Bluegauges in Buffalo and have the stock LED's replaced with brighter ones.... I don't have the skill.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Extremely simple if you want 1 bright indicator. More history, for me, cancelling is a automatic reflex making turns from a stop, complete the turn-- upshift-- cancel the signal light.

Where things go wrong is on major highways or cases of needing to do unplanned lane changes / maneuvers .

Several cases of needing to do sudden braking because a leading vehicle failed to signal or was lost- or just a bad driver, in those cases, my lane change may need to be cancelled because during the braking my previous plan was no longer viable. I may have been in a 2 lane road that narrowed to 1 lane. Having the right signal left on is ripe for a accident.

Someone up ahead, at a intersection stop sign, may assume you are turning in, and they may pull out in front of you.

Cars and motorcycles just don't get along together . If you survive you will be partially at fault, at least in Ontario that is how they viewed it.The guy at the stop was already stoped so 75% at fault, the motorcycle 25% because he failed to cancel his signal, almost as bad as turning and not signalling.

So if someone wants I can draw the wiring and how to do it. Use two 2 amp diodes , one off each signal light. That is the positive feed to your indicator light and frame ground or signal ground for negative. I don't like it flashing at me while braking. So again very simple, I have a mini relay connected to my brake light wire, which is in the harness from the front brake. I use the normally closed contact in series with my auxiliary LED signal light. Done and Done.

I also have a very complicated timer / relay miniature PLC from China , built by a engineer $12 , english isn't his first language. I started into it while having the sonic sensor installed. At some point I felt the KISS rule took precedence , and saved the module for something else. It sits on my work bench, no instructions and if I can't find the guy it may be $12 down the drain.

Registered
An email arrived from Safer Turn System. It explained all the delays and shortage of product. Covid hit them hard, as many other companies were too. They almost went under but are back in business. Supply is still low, all products will ship end of August. I ordered the STS in spring and it was two months getting here, but they did come through.

To promote the return there is a big sale on now: 40% off all modules, lifetime warranty on all products, a 180 day return policy.
Use code 5CRNPQDY to claim offers.

I have no connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Maybe for the Canajans.... There is a lightly used one here, which I can part with..... not giving it away, but make me a reasonable offer.
Post in classifieds?

Registered
Could you provide a link or details about two pins for V1000 or V650?? My 2015 uses 3 wires from the signal switch. I would love to see the wiring drawing as they claim it plugs into the flasher?? Our bike is not Canbuss unless 2019 is changed.
are you sure about that? if I remember correctly, both 650 and 1000 use the same 2 pin plug. this is the plug that I have removed.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Electric blue Gas

Registered
I am more inclined to get Signal Minder, so I don't have to splice all the wires. I use a flashing brake warning upon deceleration, from the company that produce STS, and it failed on one of my bikes; the brake light began to act funny. I don't think I am going to go that route again. However, before fitting the Signal Minder (I don't care if it turns off the signal in 10s or 20s, as long as it does I am ok with that), and spending $ I am attempting to educate myself to turn the dumb turn signal manually when it is needed; it is a matter of mindfulness.

by the way, here, in Thailand, it is so common and annoying that all the people that rides their horrible scooters keep forgetting to turn off their indicators. basically, when you see someone blinking right, you assume that he/she forgot to turn it off. very dangerous.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
are you sure about that? if I remember correctly, both 650 and 1000 use the same 2 pin plug. this is the plug that I have removed. View attachment 183527
The STS system gets cut into the 3 wires coming from the handlebar. What you have in the picture is the flasher relay. I have one just like that from my 2015 in my removed parts bin. Since I have gone 100% LED I have a 3 wire flasher which is a electronic adjustable timer.

Registered
The STS system gets cut into the 3 wires coming from the handlebar. What you have in the picture is the flasher relay. I have one just like that from my 2015 in my removed parts bin. Since I have gone 100% LED I have a 3 wire flasher which is a electronic adjustable timer.
you have a flasher relay with 3 pins connected to STS? I did install LED turn signals and still use 2 pin relay.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
you have a flasher relay with 3 pins connected to STS? I did install LED turn signals and still use 2 pin relay.
Sorry, my post is confusing, I have a LED light added that flashes when my signal light is on, my tank bag obscures my dash indicator. I added a 3 wire flasher that has an adjustable flash rate and isn't dependent on the current through it to control the flash rate. I do not have STS or any other form of auto signal cancelling, Much like my alert system in my car that tells me I have a rapidly approaching car or truck in my mirror blind spot, I don't solely depend on it for making lane changes, a good example is it didn't recognise a motorcycle. I look before lane changes on my motorcycle and I turn my signal light off 95% of the time, so I am now adding a daytime switch. I will post the photo when complete. My opinion of the STS is superior as there is a much longer time limit. The downside is you are hacking into the harness, reversing is easy provided you consider removing the gas tank is part of the reversal process.

Registered
I have auto cancel turn signal from factory in Tiger 800. but the bike is in India where due to general chaos on the roads, and the fact that I live in Himalayas, the thing is not very useful. same as the cruise control which I never use.

Registered
can anyone confirm which connectors would work for Versys 15+ ? According to 'search bike' function it should be SM-4, but it shows 3 pins. So I guess, SM-3 is the correct one, but they say in description 3 pins too; it looks like 2 pin but the photo is not clear. the SM-3S has two pins, but the plug looks too small.

Attachments

Registered
An email arrived from Safer Turn System. It explained all the delays and shortage of product. Covid hit them hard, as many other companies were too. They almost went under but are back in business. Supply is still low, all products will ship end of August. I ordered the STS in spring and it was two months getting here, but they did come through.

To promote the return there is a big sale on now: 40% off all modules, lifetime warranty on all products, a 180 day return policy.
Use code 5CRNPQDY to claim offers.

I have no connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.
thank you for the link and discount code; i saved some money there! I ordered 3 of the units because I am terrible in remembering to switch off the turn signals. first I thought of getting signalMinder, but it was not clear which one would fit and these guys did not respond, so I went with STS

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
My Signal light awareness indicator two-level LED completed August 2021

Updated August 2021 with two-level LED light, low for night time, the switch is waterproof grey boot to the lower left, barely visible.;

High for Daytime--switch is NO ( Normally Open ) across the voltage drop resistor for nighttime use. Closed for Daytime as below photo

21 - 35 of 35 Posts