Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'3" on a good day, big guy. I started on a Ninja 500. I think I killed the transmission towards the end, but the bike seemed good enough. I did a lot of clutch-less upshifts. I drive a modded VW TDI so I value MPG and handling above pure speed.

I was thinking about a 650, but the Versys seems much better. I'm ready for a 636, but I like to ride long distance, but I remember the 500 gave me sore and swollen hands. Also I needed a bag on the tank to lay down without hurting my neck.

How is tucking with the increased height of the Versys? I like to lay down on my bike as much as possible. Would I be better suited to a 636 or similar?

I remember the 500 had a lot of wind resistance, also I run a lot at 90MPH since my area is mostly highway and empty.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
We have many things in common....

I'm 6'4.5", and probably much bigger than you.
I also like VW TDI's (1996 Mk3 Golf TDI modestly modded, and 2011 Jetta 125TDI with some mods)

But I don't tuck!

I just got a bigger screen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have many things in common....

I'm 6'4.5", and probably much bigger than you.
I also like VW TDI's (1996 Mk3 Golf TDI modestly modded, and 2011 Jetta 125TDI with some mods)

But I don't tuck!

I just got a bigger screen.
On the 500 I felt that I was on my wrists too much, even more so when I had someone on the back. I guess a 636 would be even worse.

Is there room to stretch out though? I used to reach back to the rear pegs as the fronts were too forward and high to tuck down.

After I buy a new bike I'll be starting an ALH build for my Beetle which may end up with a 2260VK turbo. If I can't find a R32 AWD unit to swap in I'll either move the engine to a 20AE GTI or try my hand at swapping into a Tacoma so I can haul the bike.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
On the 500 I felt that I was on my wrists too much, even more so when I had someone on the back. I guess a 636 would be even worse.

Is there room to stretch out though?
I'm short, but have owned sporty bikes and I "tucked" i.e. rested my left arm on the tank and rested my chest on the arm because it was about as comfortable as you could get on such a setup on long, boring highways.

On a bike like the Versys, there is no reason to tuck. You are in an ergonomically correct position. Some have bought highway pegs and I like that idea too, but none are yet available for mine yet. Not because it's not comfortable as it is, but just to change leg positions now and then to aid circulation.

These ConvertiBARS are a pretty nice way of making sport bikes a little more long day friendly. The nice thing about them is you can set them back to their clip on settings for track days and such.

http://www.nicecycle.com/ConvertiBA...a&Click=7183&gclid=CNOXwZPP2sUCFVM1aQodCy4AQQ

My favorite 636 was the 2008. Reminds me of a shark.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quick point of order: The 07 on up to recent were 598. I had a black 07 and I miss the hell out of that bike, but the thing made me a pure unruly, law breaking, danger seeking hellion.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
It was indeed a 636. Almost bought an 06, then like my versys, fell in love with the new model year and it was on!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
636 only existed for 4 years. The 03/04 were identical except availble colors and had the ttaditional side exaust. For 05/06 they mountes the exaust under the tail and ised black frames.
My friend had a blie 03', and it was craY to ride to me. Tons of power and not vert comfortable. I personally liked the black 05'.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've found that tucking in or generally trying to lay low on the Versys is awkward. The handlebars are too high and close to you, when you lean over them you have to keep your hands quite far back. I'm 6'3" as well.

The ergos and riding technique differ quite a lot from a sport bike. Generally you're not "supposed to" lean that much forward on the Versys. Once you get used to the new upright position, you can still go fast and aggressive if you want, but you'll find yourself going through somewhat different motions to do so.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm 6'3" on a good day, big guy. I started on a Ninja 500. I think I killed the transmission towards the end, but the bike seemed good enough. I did a lot of clutch-less upshifts. I drive a modded VW TDI so I value MPG and handling above pure speed.

I was thinking about a 650, but the Versys seems much better. I'm ready for a 636, but I like to ride long distance, but I remember the 500 gave me sore and swollen hands. Also I needed a bag on the tank to lay down without hurting my neck.

How is tucking with the increased height of the Versys? I like to lay down on my bike as much as possible. Would I be better suited to a 636 or similar?

I remember the 500 had a lot of wind resistance, also I run a lot at 90MPH since my area is mostly highway and empty.
At 6'3" I don't think you will be able to "tuck" on a Versys 650, the bike is way too short to comfortably and safely do it.
I'm also not sure how you can value MPG and rider at 90 MPH often. Nothing gets good MPG at 90 MPH.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 6'3" I don't think you will be able to "tuck" on a Versys 650, the bike is way too short to comfortably and safely do it.
I'm also not sure how you can value MPG and rider at 90 MPH often. Nothing gets good MPG at 90 MPH.
Well I ring the piss out of my TDI and average around 45. There's a lot of 0-60 city/highway there. I don't know the sustained MPG at 90, but my worst tank was 38MPG @ 650mi. I got 50MPG once but it's tough and not fun at all.

I see now how tucking wouldn't work on the Versys, I didn't realize the seating difference was so different. On the 500 I was definitely leaning forward too much.

I'll have to see if I like laying down or sitting up on a bike more. I guess sitting up would be more practical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts