Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I converted my crf 250M to tubeless, and it was like 4 years ago, and I never saw a need to tighten a spoke. but the theory behind using goop is that if one spoke begins to leak, or you need to tighten a spoke for some reasons, and then it beings to leak, so you just goop that particular nipple in the rim.

·
Registered
170 Posts
To be honest just gonna say it. I've never had a flat. I've bent rims, I've ridden rock, I've ridden sand, I've pulled over into horrible crash lanes, I own a hawk 250 Chinese dirt bike... I've never had a flat on anything with two wheels...

I think people hype themselves up over a problem made popular by the internet.

So let's normalize this...

People think about how common flats have been on their cars... But think of this, cars have 4 tires not 2 and your average car has what, let's be kind and say 100k miles after 5 years. Your average car also has a contact patch on each tire of again well be kind and say 6 inches (most of my cars would have been 8-12) while a bike has 2 at most. Motorcycles have 2 tires and have what an average of yet again let's be kind and say 15k miles after 5 years...

So your car has 6 times the amount of miles, is touching the ground with 2 times as many tires, that are at least 3 times as wide...

So 6 x 3 x 2 you are 36 times more likely to get a flat driving a car in your life than on a motorcycle.

In my driving life 20 years I have experienced 1 flat tire on my personal cars.

Multiply the number of years I have driven, by the number of flat tires I have had, by the associated motorcycle to car ratio of 36...

(20years/1flat) x 36 = 720 years/flat

Which means in 720 years of motorcycle riding I will have had the same probability of getting a flat as I have had in the last 20 years of my life driving cars.

That's a risk I am willing to take.

That's just my perspective, my theory...

1/36 motorcycle riders will get a flat some time in the next 20 years and be cussing my father's name.
Unfortunately, I have had reality replace logic about every other year….whether on a tubeless wheel or a tubed wheel. The tubeless repair (unless the tire is ruined) is a quick fix on the road with plugs and a small compressor. On the other hand, I had a rear flat on my KLR650 a few years back on a 100 degree day……pinched the first tube, mounted another tube, and was on my way after about 1 1/2 hours….sucked big time, but I was 110 miles from home.

I don’t own my Versys-X 300 anymore, but will be converting the wheels on my Tenere 700 next tire change with 3M 4412N tape. I have a NoMar home tire changer and some tires are a pita to change in the comfort of my garage…..they are near impossible on the side of the road.

YMMV

·
Registered
991 Posts
Kris I did see alot of vids before working on mine and they used little goop, but it just did not work on mine until I added the amount you see in the pics I posted.
Bal, yes, because for some strange reasons, it is difficult to seal the spokes on x 300. for some weird reasons, the air tends to leak through the middle of the spoke, rather that from the sides, as I experienced in a couple of other bikes. I too had air leaking and it took me several times to seal spokes fully. having more goop will not do any harm I suppose. I personally put goop only around the spokes.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x TRex crash, skids, risers, O2 elim, 15T sprocket,Shinko 804/5, Led lights
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Unfortunately, I have had reality replace logic about every other year….whether on a tubeless wheel or a tubed wheel. The tubeless repair (unless the tire is ruined) is a quick fix on the road with plugs and a small compressor. On the other hand, I had a rear flat on my KLR650 a few years back on a 100 degree day……pinched the first tube, mounted another tube, and was on my way after about 1 1/2 hours….sucked big time, but I was 110 miles from home.

I don’t own my Versys-X 300 anymore, but will be converting the wheels on my Tenere 700 next tire change with 3M 4412N tape. I have a NoMar home tire changer and some tires are a pita to change in the comfort of my garage…..they are near impossible on the side of the road.

YMMV
Your story is why I made mine tubeless. I am running the tube type wheel and tire in front, but without the tube and rear is a tubeless type tire.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Your story is why I made mine tubeless. I am running the tube type wheel and tire in front, but without the tube and rear is a tubeless type tire.
ok, but you have tubeless tire in the front, right? or else it would not seal. or you are having tube in the front??

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x TRex crash, skids, risers, O2 elim, 15T sprocket,Shinko 804/5, Led lights
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok, but you have tubeless tire in the front, right? or else it would not seal. or you are having tube in the front??
no its a tube tire in front, but it is sealing

·
Registered
991 Posts
no its a tube tire in front, but it is sealing
you mean that you sealed the rim but you keep the tube? in my mind, it is certainly safer upon puncture the air will go out with some delay, but my question is - why not to get rid of the tube whatsoever?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
you mean that you sealed the rim but you keep the tube? in my mind, it is certainly safer upon puncture the air will go out with some delay, but my question is - why not to get rid of the tube whatsoever?
I sealed the rim and removed tube, so now im running tubeless with a tube type tire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
seriously? it it keep the air? i am surprised.
I have had 40lbs of air in it for several days and rode 65-70 mph and checked following day and air pressure remained the same. I figured that if tire would not hold air I would just reinsert the tube, but it works fine. I will update on any changes.

·
Registered
321 Posts

YMMV
I just can't get behind trusting a "conversion" that involves tape and glue. That would be like me saying I'm doing the "rear main seal conversion" on my car I'm just going to remove it and pack on a bunch of goop and tape. Rims go through constant deformation cycles, which means they bend slightly back and forth relative to the tape or goop you are using doing "work" on their adhesives which will eventually fail because of it.

Whatever works for you guys though. Best course of action would likely just be getting an actual set of real tubeless wheels.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The best conversion that I have seen was where a guy placed a small dab of non hardening silicone, over which he put a continuous band of normal silicone.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
When I "did" the KLR650 wheels w/ "goop" I added 10,000 kms of trouble-free service before I sold it (bought another V650).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just can't get behind trusting a "conversion" that involves tape and glue. That would be like me saying I'm doing the "rear main seal conversion" on my car I'm just going to remove it and pack on a bunch of goop and tape. Rims go through constant deformation cycles, which means they bend slightly back and forth relative to the tape or goop you are using doing "work" on their adhesives which will eventually fail because of it.

Whatever works for you guys though. Best course of action would likely just be getting an actual set of real tubeless wheels.
Looks to me like quite a few riders have had success with the goop, tape and silicone conversions. I agree about pita removing a tire and installing a tube, that is the last thing anyone wants to do out on the road or trail.

·
Registered
991 Posts

well, it works. I have sealed spokes for several years without any problem in several bike. the air pressure keeps the goop in place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wanted to add my thoughts about sealing spokes.

Logically it seems like a bad idea to trust your tire inflation to goop or tape. The wheels were not designed for it. Some not designed for tubeless tires either. Different wheels would seem the correct solution but everything is a tradeoff.

If done carefully sealing the spokes could be a bit safer in some ways than tubes. Years ago I had a tube blow out riding on the rode 2 up. Fairly scary situation. With sealed up spokes a more likely failure should be a much slower leak than the tube blowout where the air leaves very quickly. With a slower leakdown it would be more controllable so that is where my thinking it may actually be safer at times.

Flats are unpredictable events. Do your best to not have them.

Arknt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just wanted to add my thoughts about sealing spokes.

Logically it seems like a bad idea to trust your tire inflation to goop or tape. The wheels were not designed for it. Some not designed for tubeless tires either. Different wheels would seem the correct solution but everything is a tradeoff.

If done carefully sealing the spokes could be a bit safer in some ways than tubes. Years ago I had a tube blow out riding on the rode 2 up. Fairly scary situation. With sealed up spokes a more likely failure should be a much slower leak than the tube blowout where the air leaves very quickly. With a slower leakdown it would be more controllable so that is where my thinking it may actually be safer at times.

Flats are unpredictable events. Do your best to not have them.

Arknt
If there were aftermarket wheels for tubeless tires for my bike they would already be on my 300x. Glad you made through that blowout.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I agree that goop is not a good idea. That is why I used 3M 4200. It bonds to aluminum and is waterproof and flexible. From 3M: 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 4200FC is a one-component, medium-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane that delivers strong, flexible bonds to aluminum, wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It forms watertight, weather-resistant seals above and below the waterline. In addition, its flexibility allows for dissipation of stress caused by shock, vibration, swelling or shrinking.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If there were aftermarket wheels for tubeless tires for my bike they would already be on my 300x. Glad you made through that blowout.
there are aftermarket alloy wheels for Versys 300. made in Malaysia. Very nice.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I agree that goop is not a good idea. That is why I used 3M 4200. It bonds to aluminum and is waterproof and flexible. From 3M: 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 4200FC is a one-component, medium-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane that delivers strong, flexible bonds to aluminum, wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It forms watertight, weather-resistant seals above and below the waterline. In addition, its flexibility allows for dissipation of stress caused by shock, vibration, swelling or shrinking.
and why exactly goop is not a good idea? never had any problems with it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts