Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CBC is reporting that a Harley-Davidson's Japan Representative saw the story about one of their bikes getting swept out to sea and being found across the Pacific on the shores of British Columbia, Canada, and has tracked down the owner of the bike. The rest of the story with video can be found here.

Pretty impressed with Harley as they say they are going to repair and return the bike to its owner in Japan.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Great PR for Harley but I can't imagine HD is a very recognizable brand in Japan. I would imagine their Japanese market share is on par with exotic brands like MV Augusta here in North America.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great PR for Harley but I can't imagine HD is a very recognizable brand in Japan. I would imagine their Japanese market share is on par with exotic brands like MV Augusta here in North America.
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree... Harleys are iconic, and the Japanese, believe it or not, love American Icons.

Okay, I wrote that, then figured I better back it up-

There are about 50,000 Harley Davidsons on the road in Japan. About a 10,000 new ones are sold each year. A new Harley FLHRCI Road King Classic retails for $22,000.

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=855&catid=23&subcatid=153

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last November my wife and I rented a Triumph Bonneville and rode around Oahu, Hawaii. At a rest stop we met a couple of young guys from Japan who both rented Harley-Davidson's because it was a dream for them and they both rode Yamaha's at home.

·
Super Moderator
19,775 Posts
If a Harley can float across the Pacific, guess that puts paid to them being called lumps of crap!

(I guess crap can "float", can't it?)

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
If a Harley can float across the Pacific, guess that puts paid to them being called lumps of crap!

(I guess crap can "float", can't it?)
I'm more impressed with the container! Imagine it being able to float all that way carrying a "lump of crap." But the most amazing part of the story is that the bike held up better than most Harleys!;)

It reminded me that when my daughter was very young, she called them Hardly Fergusons. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm torn on the story. It's great that Harley is going to restore it an return it to the owner, but he's lost so much and is still in a temporary housing trailer. He's lost a lot and he'll be spending years, if not decades, trying to get back into a home and recovering financially. It just makes me wonder whether he'll be able to enjoy/maintain the Harley.

I went to Japan last summer and saw the devastation and visited the temporary housing. It's rough and they're usually not in convenient places. I know some families had lost all transportation and the nearest grocery store was miles away. I saw a lady who cried when presented with a simple bicycle... I guess having a Harley would be even nicer though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Certainly the farthest a Harley has ever traveled without needing maintenance along the way...
:funnypost: Now that is ...COLD! LMFAO!:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yep, the only way a hardly ableson made it that far was because of an amazing super buoyant mega container.....

·
Super Moderator
19,775 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts