Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got these puppies on! I bought them all together when I bought the bike, just been waiting for each and every piece from Kawasaki to arrive at the dealer, they put them on. Looks purdy sweet I do think.

HOWEVER, the trunk is loose/rattling. Not the trunk, but the lower base plate. I'ma look into it. Call them tomorrow, they better fix this shizzle. Other than that, happy with them, same ignition key, and the trunk I know removes all the way. Think the saddlebags are supposed to. Either way, I'm off tomorrow, I can ask. The wife went and picked it up cause I was at work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
looks really nice :) if the mount is whats loose its just 4 bolts under the seat you should be able to tighten them with ease

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Think the saddlebags are supposed to. Either way, I'm off tomorrow, I can ask....
Saddlebags - turn key sideways on bag, PULL up the front moveable piece, then slide the bag slightly rearward, then OUT.

looks really nice :) if the mount is whats loose its just 4 bolts under the seat you should be able to tighten them with ease
CONTRARY to Kawi's instructions - you MUST tighten the four bolts to the rack FIRST, then tighten the four that go into the passenger siderails.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I installed the factory rack on mine to use with the Gigi V47, which is the exact same case as the Kawasaki branded one. Mine rattled a bit as well. The factory rear rack is designed to have some play in it for some reason. I didn't like that so I pulled it back apart and added some washers. Its tight now and doesn't rattle or move at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The factory rear rack for the top case has some side to side movement with little rubber "springs" for shock absorbers. I thought the plate was loose until I checked it with the case off. Honda have a similar system for some of their racks as well

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saddlebags - turn key sideways on bag, PULL up the front moveable piece, then slide the bag slightly rearward, then OUT.

CONTRARY to Kawi's instructions - you MUST tighten the four bolts to the rack FIRST, then tighten the four that go into the passenger siderails.
I'ma play with it this morning before I take it in. Like someone said, it is those silly rubber boots/4 bolts. I'll do something that's for damned sure!

I'll go try to get a saddlebag off again. After pulling that slider knob thingy, I only gave it love pulls, and probably not in the correct direction. It was too hot and sticky out yesterday evening when I came home for me to bother much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took it apart. Its designed to slide, or wobble and shimmy. Its the stupidest thing I've ever seen. No one else's trunk does this. It would have to modify it not to.

It has bumpers, and plastic washers, and thick rubber washers to absorb vibration. Its stupid.

Here's their installation instructions. You can see the pictures https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/999940696/ii_999940696.pdf

I don't like it.

I did figure out how to remove my saddlebags per fasteddie's post :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the factory rack on mine to use with the Gigi V47, which is the exact same case as the Kawasaki branded one. Mine rattled a bit as well. The factory rear rack is designed to have some play in it for some reason. I didn't like that so I pulled it back apart and added some washers. Its tight now and doesn't rattle or move at all.
This is how I may modify it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looks like a cop bike...and cops kill black people...and I'm not black but I've been rocking a mean tan this summer due to the really nice weather...so I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to keep my distance and admire your Versys from far away. Nice bike!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Looks like a cop bike...and cops kill black people...and I'm not black but I've been rocking a mean tan this summer due to the really nice weather...so I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to keep my distance and admire your Versys from far away. Nice bike!
Yes it does look like a cop bike! I get people eyeballing me all the time as they creep up next to me on the highway or 2 lane main road. Then the figure out I'm not a cop and they accelerate away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
:grin2: I have a white helmet too. I should wear a reflective vest and see if people slow down when I pass

So I spent a few bucks and bought some washers and a few more rubber washers and a small thing of loctite since I was out. Went from my trunk shimmying to now I can grab and shake my trunk, it stays firm, and it shakes the whole bike >:)

Problem solved! The rubber washers are a bit over sized, but hey, Lowes came close. It (the top rubber washers) sits goofy because the top bracket hole is slotted so the bolt pulling it down cupped the washers. So if anyone else ever needs to:

12 metal washers M10x30, 4 of the original rubber washers, buy 4 more. Loctite. That is all.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Got these puppies on! I bought them all together when I bought the bike, just been waiting for each and every piece from Kawasaki to arrive at the dealer, they put them on. Looks purdy sweet I do think.

HOWEVER, the trunk is loose/rattling. Not the trunk, but the lower base plate. I'ma look into it. Call them tomorrow, they better fix this shizzle. Other than that, happy with them, same ignition key, and the trunk I know removes all the way. Think the saddlebags are supposed to. Either way, I'm off tomorrow, I can ask. The wife went and picked it up cause I was at work.
Looks awesome! I might order one next year. Is the mounting bracket on the back of the bike hard to take off/put back on? I don't think I'd want it sticking out when I'm not using the top case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks awesome! I might order one next year. Is the mounting bracket on the back of the bike hard to take off/put back on? I don't think I'd want it sticking out when I'm not using the top case.
No. The top case is push button removable, you can just pop it on/off with the key. If you wanted to remove the brackets too, its just a few minutes, couple bolts, very easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts