Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all - I'm in desperate need of some advice on locating the cause of a low-rev's misfire, but first things first, an introduction...

I'm a new (8 weeks or so) owner of an '07 V 650 in SW England. I bought the bike primarily as a means to get me to a new job that's at a hospital where I can't reasonably park a car every day. My other bike (a Blackbird) is not the ideal commuter.

I've been really pleased with the bike so far - comfy, practical, very useable and accomodates my 6'6" frame well, which is often a challenge for me! As a bonus, it already had all the bits I'd have put on myself for winter commuting - Givi panniers, crash bars, high beam spot/side lights, tall screen, heated grips, Scottoiler....

So, to the point - the V behaved impeccably until last week, when on the way home from work it developed a low-rev's misfire. from idle to around 3500rpm it intermittently (but frequently) runs very poorly, being dramatically down on power and reponding badly to throttle. upwards of 4000rpm the problem is gone. I'm referring to it as a misfire as I believe the bike is running on only one cylinder. The idle will fluctuate between normal and approx 800rpm as the issue occurs.

I scratched my head, then took things apart with the aim of checking the plugs as a starting point. On getting to the stick coils I discovered one was split down part of the housing and corroded underneath - "problem solved!" I thought, and promptly went off to find replacements. A pair of new stick coils and new plugs later (the old plugs did not look too bad but I was in there anyway and had no idea when they were last done), tank and airbox back on, I went for a 10-15 mile ride. The bike did not miss a beat. 40-50 miles covered the next day and again, it didn't miss a beat.

You can see where this is going - the following day, the problem returns.

I've not done much to it since purchase - a new set of tyres, fresh oil and oil filter, the plugs and coils mentioned above, and tinkered with the neglected chain oiler to get it working.

Can anyone offer any advice on where to look next for the source of the problem? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
Very first thing is how old is all the vacuum lines. For $20 Canadian you could replace all lines, something like 4 feet. Look at what I did as to bringing lines out for checking balance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts