Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :D Just bought a 2009 V 2 weeks ago, and was having a blast on it. I say was due to a 0 mph tipover in my driveway while entering my garage door code. The bike suffered very little damage: bent h-bar and shifter, small piece of easily fixable plastic off the L front turn signal. The killer is that I can't shift any gears (after bending the shifter back) but 1st and N. It looks pretty much as it should with the possible exception of the push arm being a little closer to the engine than before. I think the shifter hit it as it was being bent in. Any experience/ideas for this? Great forums btw :thumb:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Don't think its a problem with the shifter, it might be internal, one of the 'key's may be bent. Assume its got plenty of oil in it?

If you can get a small pair of vice grips on the gear spline, try using those to see if you can get into 2nd, going up from neutral-give 1st a miss. Maybe once you get into 2nd you can move up the gears.

Machog

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I can't shift any gears (after bending the shifter back) but 1st and N.
Have you tried shifting to 2nd with the bike moving or just with it standing still?

I don’t know if it’s the same on the prior years but the 2010 won’t go past neutral (into 2nd) when the bike is standing still. This is by design to make it easier to hit neutral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as I know this is true of all Versys models (my 2007 does it). It's called the "positive neutral finder" so make sure you are rolling before trying to shift into 2nd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it!

Thanks for the input folks. I ended up just taking it apart and using vice grips to shift into 2nd. After putting it back together it went through the gears just fine. Now I just need to get a new set of bars :(

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Thanks for the input folks. I ended up just taking it apart and using vice grips to shift into 2nd. After putting it back together it went through the gears just fine. Now I just need to get a new set of bars :(
Aww c’mon — Turn that frown upside down (is that a dumb-ass saying or what!) :D

You’re gearbox is working! You got away cheap!

Have a good one & enjoy the ride... :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bars

I'm in Denver, and I am happy I got off so cheap. These things aren't as bombproof as dirtbikes, after all. I am considering a set of protapers, but I'll let you know if I decide to keep the controls stock. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts