Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may or may not fly but i like facts and figures and our local paper always has a bit of trivia on front page so add on to the thread with any sort of trivia/facts from around the world.

Like this, ninety per cent of Canada's 31 million citizens live within 160 kilometres of the United States border.

·
Premium Member
7,902 Posts
This may or may not fly but i like facts and figures and our local paper always has a bit of trivia on front page so add on to the thread with any sort of trivia/facts from around the world.

Like this, ninety per cent of Canada's 31 million citizens live within 160 kilometres of the United States border.
I dont get it buddy:confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just really a junk thread but could be fun with facts/figures or interesting trivia or no one will be interested and it will go down like a lead ballon lol

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
From today's NY Times: "There are 1.5 times more people on disability than there were in 1990. Almost one in 20 Americans from the ages of 25 to 64 now collects benefits, more than twice the share of two decades ago. And the cost has risen in tandem. Disability outlays have grown about 5.6 percent a year after inflation in the last two decades, compared with just 2.2 percent for other Social Security spending."

·
Registered
3,419 Posts

Well, let's see. Perhaps that's because the remainder of Canada to the north of where the 31 million of our neighbors live is really, really cold and frozen! :D

Like a relative says about northern Minnesota - it's eight months of winter followed by four months of bad skiing. :D

And, for our American members, can you name the two oldest continuously inhabitated (1000 years) communities in the U.S? :goodluck:

·
Registered
202 Posts
And, for our American members, can you name the two oldest continuously inhabitated (1000 years) communities in the U.S? :goodluck:
Would that be; Acoma Pueblo and Taos Pueblo, New Mexico at 1075 (ca.) They are among the oldest inhabited settlements continuously in use (although not cities)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Trilobites, (Ordovician Era), were a successful species for 300 million years. Dinosaurs, (Permian Era), were extant for about 150 million years. Homo sapiens has been a biologically successful species for around 50,000 years.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Would that be; Acoma Pueblo and Taos Pueblo, New Mexico at 1075 (ca.) They are among the oldest inhabited settlements continuously in use (although not cities)
Absolutely correct. Well done! :thumb:

Settlements may have been a better word than communities but then again they're rather similar. As you say, they weren't cities in the contemporary sense of the word. No taxis! :D

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
If the entire life of the earth, from day one to the present, could be compressed into 24 hours, mankind would occupy the last two seconds. That's something of a humbling thought IMHO.

·
Registered
770 Posts
One of the longest production runs of any motorcycle was the Kawasaki 500. It was produced from 1989 to 2009 with only one minor change in 1994 (change to bigger wheels and front fairing).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Trilobites, (Ordovician Era), were a successful species for 300 million years.
Trilobites existed well before the Orodvician and survived past it. Most of the various kinds of trilobites died out in the Devonian, but it was the Permian mass extinction (the worst one so far) that finally ended their long run.

I once lived on Trilobite Trail.

How about this for trivia... A Canadian named Louis Slotin was once known as the "chief armourer of the United States" due to his skill in assembling the nuclear bombs of the Manhattan Project. He was killed in a criticality accident in 1946 while working on what became called the "demon core." That core was later used in the Able test.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The earth's average velocity orbiting the sun is 107,220 km per hour, metric speed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The earth's average velocity orbiting the sun is 107,220 km per hour, metric speed.
To bad most of us on here dont use KM/H so that means nothing to us!;):D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Trilobites existed well before the Orodvician and survived past it. Most of the various kinds of trilobites died out in the Devonian, but it was the Permian mass extinction (the worst one so far) that finally ended their long run.
That makes sense, since the Ordovician era only lasted about 47 million years, and as I said, they were extant on this planet for almost 300 million years. I suppose I should have said they "flourished" during the Ordovician/lower paleozoic period before beginning a long decline in population before being wiped out by the meteor Chicxulub's crash landing on Earth. My bad. ;)

Back to trivia, and since we're talkin' fossils: It is estimated that less than one in 10,000 species has made it into the fossil record.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Back to trivia, and since we're talkin' fossils: It is estimated that less than one in 10,000 species has made it into the fossil record.
I thought talking about the actual extent of the trilobite's dominion on Earth was pretty trivial...
;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts