Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a very gently used 2020 Tiger 900 yesterday. Just under 1500 miles on the clock. Nice guy, with back problems and couldn’t ride anymore. Still has 14months left on the factory warranty. I loved my V1K and still do. Have it up for sale. But i really wanted something smaller with similar power, cruise, heated grips. An i love the triple power. I’m not going anywhere. Need to clean the header pipes. Then let the farkling begin.
442F7F75-51C5-4668-A803-59643C1BEC02.jpeg
671A9D16-825C-4A6D-A1A8-0E1CB046EAA3.jpeg
C6C0ECA8-AE51-4BBE-A76A-0CE3AC75CE4F.jpeg
E0020F08-9CCA-42FB-9F39-8D5F76EA13F8.jpeg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Purchased a very gently used 2020 Tiger 900 yesterday. Just under 1500 miles on the clock. Nice guy, with back problems and couldn’t ride anymore. Still has 14months left on the factory warranty. I loved my V1K and still do. Have it up for sale. But i really wanted something smaller with similar power, cruise, heated grips. An i love the triple power. I’m not going anywhere. Need to clean the header pipes. Then let the farkling begin.
Nice ride! Hope she takes you on many awesome adventures!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice! I've been looking at those Tigers... the 900 Rally. Either that or an Africa Twin for the next bike.

·
Super Moderator
20,451 Posts
Craigar - I wish you STILL lived in AZ so I could (MAYBE) try on your Tiger.

Oh well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I've been looking at those Tigers... the 900 Rally. Either that or an Africa Twin for the next bike.
Both those bikes were on my list. I decided on the Tiger. Because it is much lighter. Plenty of grunt. An how much time will I really spend off the tarmac. I am happy with my choice. Good luck with yours

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Craigar - I wish you STILL lived in AZ so I could (MAYBE) try on your Tiger.

Oh well.
I would have allowed you for sure. But I am not liable for you heading down to the nearest Triumph dealer and picking one up yourself! The Tiger feels as heavy as the V650. Kind of that sweet spot for me. Hope you are doing well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a nice machine and was number 2 on my list if I had not gotten the 2021 Tracer. Those triples are wonderful!
I did look at the Tracer. It’s a nice looking machine. But I was sticking to my budget. One of the few times.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Both those bikes were on my list. I decided on the Tiger. Because it is much lighter. Plenty of grunt. An how much time will I really spend off the tarmac. I am happy with my choice. Good luck with yours
That heated pillion seat is a plus as well...:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sold my V1K yesterday. To a nice guy getting back into the sport. Owned a Tenere and a few others. So I am hoping he will begin lurking on the forum soon. Now I can begin setting up my motorcycle the way I want it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well I was finally able to spend some time on the bike this past week. Overall, I am very pleased with the motorcycle. Great power and handling. The braking power is light years ahead of the V1K, but I would expect that coming from a newer motorcycle. Better fueling and mileage than the V1K. The ability to change rider modes on the fly is nice. But this motorcycle doesn’t come without some annoyances as well. Once you have turned the bike off. It does not keep you in your last setting. Automatically goes into road mode. But will allow you to click on your latest setting. Took a couple of times to finally catch that option. The headlight automatically defaults into the daytime running light. Which you have to hit the high beam switch twice to get the one light to illuminate. That i need to look into and see if there is something that I missed in the owners manual. That’s just dumb. They also put the toggle joystick all the way to the bottom. So when you hit your riding mode button. Your thumb instinctively goes right to the turn signal as you try and toggle through. Minor quibble, but an annoyance for sure.

I love that inline 4 on the V1K. Very smooth and linear. For the money, the V1K is a great value proposition, In terms of cost, reliability, and long term ownership. The V1K will be cheaper to own. But I don’t miss the weight of that bike. An for me, now that I am into my mid 50’s. This is where the Tiger begins to shine. It feels as nimble as the V650 IMO. But has great power coming from that triple. Which i love the character of that motor. The quick shifter is a nice feature and works flawlessly. I also like the added safety features this bike offers. So I am very happy with my choice at this time. But only time will tell as I am still in the honeymoon phase!

Installed my center stand this past Saturday. Bike was nice and clean. Until we chose some dusty roads. But the scenery was well worth it. Over in Olympic Park.
6970B65C-5B93-4127-B7C5-5CB6A7620793.jpeg

404383A3-C20F-457F-BA14-7E944F226FFD.jpeg
BB416580-284E-4C3D-A69C-ABEE03B94C1E.jpeg
4127BF97-330E-44D2-AD6B-3F378FFDFA68.jpeg
2938E75F-7E32-4173-8DC7-33091AEA54C2.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been a satisfied owner of a MKIII Versys since 2016 and almost 25,000 miles. It has performed flawlessly during that time, but I'm itching for something with a bit more power while staying in the same weight class. Also want a bike with electronic cruise control. I have my eye on the following:
1. Tiger 900 GT like Craigar's.
2. BMW F900 XR
3. Yamaha Tracer 9 GT
For those who have compared these bikes through actual riding, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Hankster

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
“Nothing to Prove” on YouTube does a nice comparison of both the Yamaha and BMW you have requested. The Yamaha was on my short list. I think it has the most reliable track record of all 3 bikes. But I was not a big fan of the TFT Screen. If you have eagle eyes. Then it may work out well for you. I’d recommend you riding all three yourself if you can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts