Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's going to be blazing hot all weekend.

A t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops are the perfect attire for a walk on the beach. I too want to wear them while I ride. Should I squid out and leave my gear at home? :devil: no chance. Sweating feels better than bleeding.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't ride in shorts and flip-flops but I ain't ATGATT. In town when it is triple digits (most of the summer) I wear helmet, jeans, T-shirt and boots. On the highway I add perforated Vanson jacket and gloves and long trips Roadcrafter Light.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
ATGATT every single time. I do run a more "meshy" jacket in the warm months... ten of them in North Florida... but now I'm in Central Florida so I might be able to hang up my non-meshy jacket for good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty good about wearing all of my gear most of the time. But sometimes I'll ride in to work in just my work uniform (pants, long sleeve button up, steel toes). If that makes me a "squid," then so be it. Its a risk that I am willing to take occasionally, and it is my right to do so.
Flame on.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In the shoulder seasons I am ATGATT. In summer I ditch the protective pants, and just wear jeans, plus helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, safty rated glasses(clear and tinted) and ear plugs.

In the past I have squidded it out on a hot day with t-shirt and shorts. I can honestly say that I am cooler wearing all of my gear than t-shirt/shorts. The pants/jacket keep the sun from baking on my skin. Yea I am a bit hot sitting at a stop light, but once moving air is moving through the vents.

If you go look at the nomads in the deserts of the middle east, how many of them wear short sleeves? None. They all wear the long flowing robes to keep the sun off of themselves, not to protect themselves from sand rash.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I need to get boots/pants, but even in the middle of what we Canadians call summer, I'm in ankle-covering boots, jeans, tourmaster high vis jacket, helmet, gloves, ear protection. That's what I have, so that's what I wear.

That being said, I am looking around for good boots/pants (and some rain gear so I don't have to cop-out when weather turns sour).. hard to find a local source for trying stuff on in my size.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
ATGATT every single time. I do run a more "meshy" jacket in the warm months... ten of them in North Florida... but now I'm in Central Florida so I might be able to hang up my non-meshy jacket for good.
I've ridden (comfortably...) for about 2.5 hours at a time in 100 to 110F by dropping my tee shirt into water, then putting it on, UNDER my jacket (ATGATT!). When I feel my temp start 'creeping' up, I look for another stream or creek.

On my LONG rides I use a 100 oz hydration pack, so I just suck-up a mouthfull, then 'dribble' it down the front of my tee shirt as I'm riding.

:yeahsmile:

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Once it get so hot i ride without a jacket for close to the house runs.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I don't own a pair of Flip Flops any more...worse motorcycle injury I have had in years came for wearing those things. I'd just bought my KLR

I wasn't RIDING I was WASHING it! The Flip Flop was wet and stuck to the concrete as I turned and my foot "Rolled" over in the thing breaking a bone. Took 4 months to heal, and still pains me in cold damp weather. The doctor said more people get hurt in Flip Flops and Crocs than I'd believe.

Now I wear sneakers or a pair of Sandals. To wash the bikes.

For riding it's ATGATT. Being hot's not much fun...being hurt sucks.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I've ridden (comfortably...) for about 2.5 hours at a time in 100 to 110F by dropping my tee shirt into water, then putting it on, UNDER my jacket (ATGATT!). When I feel my temp start 'creeping' up, I look for another stream or creek.

On my LONG rides I use a 100 oz hydration pack, so I just suck-up a mouthfull, then 'dribble' it down the front of my tee shirt as I'm riding.

Great, NOW you tell me Riding leave Ya drooling! :p

I have a Olympia Switchback Mesh Jacket and as long as I keep moving it's not too hot...and as it shades me from the sun baking me is cooler than riding without a jacket at all.

You can buy a "Cool Vest" you fill it with water and it cools by evaporation. They work well but you have to get the right size, sung, for it to work it's best. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
I've ridden (comfortably...) for about 2.5 hours at a time in 100 to 110F by dropping my tee shirt into water, then putting it on, UNDER my jacket (ATGATT!). When I feel my temp start 'creeping' up, I look for another stream or creek....
Well... yesterday I went for a 210 km 'toot'. Temp was about 35C = 96F, and I was wearing mesh jacket, mesh pants. By the half-way point I was pretty hot, so I parked, removed my jacket and tee, then did the ABOVE procedure.... (FIRST time I'd done it wearing mesh!)

:goodidea:

My tee was SOAKING wet when I put it on (QUITE "bracing" I might add...), tucking it into the waist of the pants, cinching my kidney-belt over top, then adding the jacket. By the time I was properly ATGATT, the "cool" was gone, and I was warm all over, the water down into the top of my underwear. Started the GREEN HORNET, snicked it into gear, started riding. Within probably 50 feet it felt like I was sitting in front of an air-conditioner, ALMOST too cool...! :clap:

I took note of the time, as it's an hour and a half home from there. The REALLY cool lasted about 45 minutes, followed by the temps gradually increasing over the last 45 minutes, but STILL cool beneath the kidney-belt and top of my shorts right up to arrival home.

I would now add that the coolness length-of-time is directly related to the amount of air-circulation through your gear (I KNOW - PRETTY obvious...!), as my jacket (when I mentioned the 2.5 hours) was a textile jacket w/ several small zippers for air-circulation, this at the end of about 28 days on the road including Alaska.

BTW - our forecast temps over the next few days will go OVER 40C = 104F!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
104 / 106f today in the Sacramento, CA. Jeans, boots, leather jacket and gloves for a 5 mile run. Sweat wipes off, road rash don't.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I've concluded that I will dehydrate before I overheat, so when it crosses 90 deg the mesh goes away and the tourmaster transition comes back (without the liner).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't ever soak my shirt, but I do soak the Buff that I wear around my neck down when it gets hot. It's generally good for about an hour at a time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't own a pair of Flip Flops any more...worse motorcycle injury I have had in years came for wearing those things. I'd just bought my KLR

I wasn't RIDING I was WASHING it! The Flip Flop was wet and stuck to the concrete as I turned and my foot "Rolled" over in the thing breaking a bone. Took 4 months to heal, and still pains me in cold damp weather. The doctor said more people get hurt in Flip Flops and Crocs than I'd believe.

Now I wear sneakers or a pair of Sandals. To wash the bikes.

For riding it's ATGATT. Being hot's not much fun...being hurt sucks.
Ditto - flip flops are freaking dangerous. Barefoot or tie-on shoes/boots for me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
[On my LONG rides I use a 100 oz hydration pack, so I just suck-up a mouthfull, then 'dribble' it down the front of my tee shirt as I'm riding.

:yeahsmile:[/QUOTE]

The visual of you drooling down your tee shirt as you ride gives me pause..:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts