Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Trip to Utah, Texas, Arizona, NM

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Boricua 
#1 ·
Were planning on taking a trip down to the southern states, driving around texas, arizona, new mexico, nevada. Were wondering about heading down at the end of March and doing a 2 week loop on our bikes. Our plan is too haul our bikes to Salt lake city, but are wondering if the weather that time of year will be good enough?? Anybody with experience with Utah and the other states I listed? Do you think this is still too early in the year?? Any advice on the weather we would expect would be appreciated.

#3 ·
It's not unusual for it to snow in Santa Fe in March & April. I've seen it snow there in May. The temps in the western states are mostly dependent on elevation. The higher the elevation the colder it is. Also the best riding is in the mountains, (at higher elevation), therefore at colder temps. I'd wait until May at the earliest myself.

#6 ·
I live about 30 minutes south of Salt Lake City. In March many of the canyons will still be closed to vehicles and there are so many beautiful rides that will not be accessible. The weather could be sunny and low 70's or snowing. It's not uncommon to get some measurable snow in the valleys that sticks to the roads in April. I'd go later if you can.

#9 ·
I am in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. That time of year will most likely be rainy, possibly even snow. We are at 200+% of our snow pack for the year, and have had a lot of very cold weather (cold for us means sub freezing for weeks on end, highs not over the low 20s).

Southern Utah would be sublime, warming up much faster than the north, and deserts mean less likely to rain than up north. The climate varies A LOT in this state, even from day to day. Even May would be pretty unpredictable here. I have seen snow in the valleys as late as end of April/first of May.

I won't be riding that early unless it's a rare day of warm sun.

#15 ·
Were only picking Texas and area because we have never been down there before. If any of you have any must see things or highly recommended roads, I'm all ears!! We'll likely make it to NM, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and southern California.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.