Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a little trip on the V with my wife from 17 Jun to 19 Jun, from Ft Collins CO, through the Poudre Canyon to Steamboat Springs, then north to Saratoga, WY. It turned out to be a bit of an adventure. The road north from Steamboat was not paved for a good bit, with no indication of that on any of the maps I looked at. My wife was a little freaked out but the V was flawless, even on rutted, semi-muddy sections. The issue came when we turned east on WY-70. The damn road was washed out. I've never seen anything like it. I went around the caved-in section, thinking I was pretty cool and smart. However, the road was destroyed on both sides of the pass, as we found out later, so no snowplows had been up there all winter. The entire road was covered in several feet of snow towards the top of the pass. We had to turn around and go back past the ruined road and take a slightly longer and less fun route the rest of the way to Saratoga - I-80. Once there, all was well despite the fact that the town was somewhat flooded. The N Platte river was at record-high levels. The National Guard was there filling sandbags and such, but the hotsprings were still open! The road home through the Medicine Bow range was pretty great, and very scenic. The pass is over 10k', so I was a little worried about ice on the road, but all was well. Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It was my first time up in that area and it really was great - beautiful scenery, great roads for riding and very little traffic. I'll know next time to go later in the year though! I'd like to explore more of those roads surrounding Saratoga through Medicine Bow NF but given the conditions we encountered I wouldn't attempt it before mid-summer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cool pics, looks like some good clean fun and your wife sounds like a great sport. I am going to travel to central Wyo to visit family in a few weeks, hope to hit some roads as fun looking as the ones you were on.
Thanks for posting:thumb:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I went over Cameron pass on Jun 10. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15872

I came across you on your scouting ride in Poudre Canyon. It was pretty cold up there. Lots of snow there and through rabbit ears and muddy pass. I was lucky in my trip. Good weather and good roads all the way. At was a little concerned about the rivers and the snow. I almost did a last minute change on my route and go south to NM where I was sure it was dry. But stick to my plan and went north and west.

The Yampa was well above flood stage in Craig. Fortunately the road and the town seem to be high enough. The only thing keeping the river out of Highway 40 was the rail road tracks between Steamboat and Craig.

The Colorado was touching the bottom of the I70 bridge in Loma ( couple of miles west of Grand Junction) and was downright scary through Glenwood Springs. Good to hear you had a good ride. Your wife is a good sport. My wife just started riding with me. She is still not into 300+ mile a day multiday ride.

Maybe I can get your wife to write something to my wife to convince her :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts