Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just got back from an awesome tour of New England (including stops at Pittsburgh Steeler Training Camp, Niagara falls, Ft. Ticonderoga/Mt. Defiance and Mt. Washington NH). Lotsa great memories, but one keepsake I want to get rid of is the tree sap I picked up at my campground in Lake Placid.

Question is this: Will the store bought "bug and tar" type stuff do the trick? I have the '09 Candy Lime green and wanna preserve the sparkle as much as I can.

Thanks for your opinions! :feedback:

ps- Just ticked over 30k on the odometer. Bike has to go up for sale as I'm moving west. Anyone near SW VA want to pick up a spare V?

·
Registered
128 Posts
GooGone should do the trick. I've used it without affecting my paint whatsoever (YMMV). Spray and leave on for a minute then wipe up with a soft cloth so it doesn't scratch. Then give your baby a bath.

If you're worried about using product on your paint, maybe try washing the bike with hot water in the bucket instead?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I've used Bug and Tar remover on my car. You need to get it before it sets up hard and be careful not to do it on a real hot sunny day if you're outside. Wash before and after to get rid of any dirt that can scratch the paint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mineral spirits:) Doesn't dry too fast and wont harm clear coat, paint, or plastics and cheap! Be careful around the decals with any cleaner:eek:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Kit Wax or most waxes can slowly dissolve and remove the sap. Do it patiently and it should come off. Use a soft cloth, micro fiber towel or sponge and do it lightly.

I would wash with soap water first and let soak to get the water to delaminate the sap. Whatever that is too stubborn is then removed with the waxes. Of course, dry the surface first prior to waxing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts