Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I'd want it enclosed but your vehicle size prevents that. That's a shame, it would serve as a cheap motel too. I'd buy the trailer and sell it when I got home.
Many moons ago I helped a co-ed move from Florida to Connecticut after graduation. Pulled a small enclosed U-Haul with a 350cc motorcycle and all her belongings behind a Datsun b210 with 65 hp. Max speed limits were 55. It pulled fine, but stopping was a challenge.

A 5x8 no frills enclosed trailer only weighs 850 lbs. That leaves 650 lbs for bike and gear.

The problem is the aerodynamic drag. My trailer at highway speeds gets the same fuel economy if empty or loaded with 900 lbs.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
the Uhaul Trailer is good and very affordable. it is however very heavy. about 900 lbs. so it plus bike is 1450 lbs - ish. I was shocking how much the MPG dropped on my nissan Murano pulling the trailer and bike. I say ride out. I have gone from KY to Colorado many times but. several by car and twice by my Versys. I prefer to go across the plains by Motorcycle by far. Car is so BORING....... on the bike, we start early, like 5 AM. getting in 12 hours of ride time, about 800 miles on first day. Then next day you are in the foot hills by just after lunch and the real fun begins. We were lucky and never hit super heavy rain crossing the plains. that would cause a delay. if you are not familiar with Colorado weather due to elevation change, last September on a single ride we hit 36F at elevation and 86F later that day at lower elevation. The temp drops about 3.5 degrees per 1000 feet of elevation. so the 36 F is the min as we crossed over a pass. So be prepared with layers. one last note. Electronic cruise control makes crossing the plains much more enjoyable. There is great post on this forum about how to add the Rostra CC. I mounted it in place of the CA evap canister behind left fairing. best farkle ever.........
The motorcycle trailer spec is 800 lbs. Did you weigh one empty?

Bike is under 500 lbs so 1300 lbs loaded. Yes aero drag and engine working harder will reduce fuel economy.

My Nissan Titan with 5.6L V8 gets better mileage towing my setup than my Nissan Frontier with 4.0 V6.

The real benefit comes when you and a buddy share the driving, and costs while bringing two bikes along. You can save time too if you are able to sleep while the other drives.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another though is to rent one of those 26 foot trucks, put all your stuff in it and rent it one way. I lived in Ohio. Vacationed in Tennessee then moved to the Tennessee mountains and now western NC. They do rent them 1 way ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The motorcycle trailer spec is 800 lbs. Did you weigh one empty?

Bike is under 500 lbs so 1300 lbs loaded. Yes aero drag and engine working harder will reduce fuel economy.

My Nissan Titan with 5.6L V8 gets better mileage towing my setup than my Nissan Frontier with 4.0 V6.

The real benefit comes when you and a buddy share the driving, and costs while bringing two bikes along. You can save time too if you ate able to sleep while the other drives.
I went by the label on the trailer and I think is was about 900 lbs. My versys is 500 lbs. with crash bars, center stand, side and rear case racks. so I guess around 1400 lbs.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'd want it enclosed but your vehicle size prevents that. That's a shame, it would serve as a cheap motel too. I'd buy the trailer and sell it when I got home.
I have both a 5x8 open trailer, and a 5x8 enclosed trailer, as well as drive a pickup truck.
1st choice depending on how much stuff I was taking on a cross country trip like OP mentioned would be to load it up in my truck bed. This way I don't need to worry about pulling into a tight lot with a trailer, or where to store the combo, and better mpg's.
2nd choice would be the open trailer. Mine has a drop down rear gate, but I'd remove it and use a simple ramp for the trip. It amazes me on the highway how much the gate affects the mpg and drag. Without the gate, I can't feel a trailer of that size behind the truck.

Last choice, and something I really wouldn't want to do is tow my enclosed. It is a flat front, and I even have a cap on my truck which helps aerodynamics, but I can certainly feel it back there like a huge sail. Makes no difference if the trailer is loaded or not it feels the same. I use the trailer for my lawn business carrying my mower, and storage so I need the enclosed.

My truck is a V6 tacoma for reference.

·
Registered
2013 v650
260 Posts
Look at the u-haul trailer for its max tow speed. If I remember correctly it is around 45 mph also. It is posted on the front of the fender so you can see it in your mirrors.

Inclosed trailer would be nice if you are going to use it to camp in also. Just remember bigger heavier may require braking systems. Some tow restrictions are about braking not pulling power.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Now I may be flipping back to the Harbor Freight trailer. 800lb trailer with a (about) 500lb bike? That's 1300lbs on a car rated at 1500lbs. It would be one thing if I was towing 100 miles. But a 4000+ mile trip from Ohio to the Sierra Nevada mountains and back....I don't think so. I'd spend the money on the much lighter Harbor Freight trailer just to spare my transmission the wear/tear. The HF trailer is 250lbs. Toss in 50lbs for a wood floor and a front wheel chock, and I'm at 300lbs.

And I'll also say, the Toyota Rav4 has NO torque. They measured it at 5000 rpms. Who measures torque that high? They did it because they know the number would be really low at 2000-3000rpm...down where they should measure it. To get any power out of it, you've got to really wind up the rpm's. Very different from my old Trailblazer with 4.2 in-line 6. Massive torque and most of it's available down below 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My first car was a 98' Honda crv with a 4 cyl. I ran my lawn business for several yrs with it towing my current open 5x8 open trailer (500#'s) plus a commercial mower(800#'s) no problem. The only transmission issue it had was when a young idiot(me) ignored a bad seal and ran the transmission completely out of oil, but that was after never touching it for 175k.

My mom had that 4.2 in a 03 trailblazer. I hated that engine. No power, and had to floor it and let it wait 1-2 seconds to actually start having power. Definitely nothing I would ever call a engine with torque.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Inclosed trailer would be nice if you are going to use it to camp in also. Just remember bigger heavier may require braking systems. Some tow restrictions are about braking not pulling power.
In order to sleep in a enclosed, I'd want at least a 6×12. My 5×8 only has 5' cielings, and the single door can only be closed from the outside. These small trailers would also need to be completely emptied to be able to lay down inside, negating the security of having a enclosed for your cargo.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
My first car was a 98' Honda crv with a 4 cyl. I ran my lawn business for several yrs with it towing my current open 5x8 open trailer (500#'s) plus a commercial mower(800#'s) no problem. The only transmission issue it had was when a young idiot(me) ignored a bad seal and ran the transmission completely out of oil, but that was after never touching it for 175k.

My mom had that 4.2 in a 03 trailblazer. I hated that engine. No power, and had to floor it and let it wait 1-2 seconds to actually start having power. Definitely nothing I would ever call a engine with torque.
I guess that just shows you how disappointed you would be with a Rav4. :whistle:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
In order to sleep in a enclosed, I'd want at least a 6×12. My 5×8 only has 5' cielings, and the single door can only be closed from the outside. These small trailers would also need to be completely emptied to be able to lay down inside, negating the security of having a enclosed for your cargo.
Not necessarily. You would just sleep above your gear.

I do enjoy my 6x12 V nose with 6'3" interior. It feels like a small cabin. But a 5x8 with 5' ceilings would work for camping.

You don't want to sleep with the bike inside anyway and you can do a drop down plywood cot on a wall that would be above your gear. If you don't care about gas fumes, you could put the bike against one wall and crawl onto the plywood cot easily. Regarding the side door it is easy to convert to RV style latch which is what I did.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I guess that just shows you how disappointed you would be with a Rav4. :whistle:
Can't be worse then my old crv was. I don't know the tq #, but I know hp was like 180 or so.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Not necessarily. You would just sleep above your gear.

I do enjoy my 6x12 V nose with 6'3" interior. It feels like a small cabin. But a 5x8 with 5' ceilings would work for camping.

You don't want to sleep with the bike inside anyway and you can do a drop down plywood cot on a wall that would be above your gear. If you don't care about gas fumes, you could put the bike against one wall and crawl onto the plywood cot easily. Regarding the side door it is easy to convert to RV style latch which is what I did.
Thats alot of stuff to cram in a small trailer. When I have my v chocked up in my 5x8 I can barely squeeze past it to get to the front. Definitely not enough room for me to sleep.

Some 5x8's have side door, most do not. Mine doesn't. I'm planning on replacing it with a 6×12, or 7x12 as its to tight to be working out of for my lawns.

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
...The problem is the aerodynamic drag. My trailer at highway speeds gets the same fuel economy if empty or loaded with 900 lbs.
When I had a VW Jetta I skied a lot in the Rockies, and had attached a THULE ski-roof-rack to the top of the car. One day, just for laughs, I went WFO w/ JUST the rack on, no skis, and was ONLY able to get to 130 kph (about 80 mph), so I bought a rear-seat w/ the "ski-pass-thru" for less drag, at a VW wrecker yard.

Went WFO another time and got it to OVER 160 kph (100 mph).
Just shows HOW MUCH AERO DRAG you get from just a couple of "pipes" making a rack.... I've never forgotten that lesson.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
. :D I also have a place that is about an hour SW of Denver near Fairplay that has room to store a vehicle and trailer for a few days while you are riding around Colorado.
Another guy on here I am jealous of!!! I been past Fairplay a couple times, awesome area to have a place!! I hope to end up living in CO someday. Maybe retirement....

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Thats alot of stuff to cram in a small trailer. When I have my v chocked up in my 5x8 I can barely squeeze past it to get to the front. Definitely not enough room for me to sleep.

Some 5x8's have side door, most do not. Mine doesn't. I'm planning on replacing it with a 6×12, or 7x12 as its to tight to be working out of for my lawns.
You remove the bike, or move it against the wall. You only need 22 inches to sleep when leaned up against the wall.

I considered a 7x12, but that makes the trailer almost 8.5 feet wide at the fenders. I test pulled the 6x12 down some back roads and neighborhoods and didn't want to go wider.

I have considered getting a 7x14 double axle built with the wheels inboard like the 8 foot wide trailers. Then I would have the same wheel width as my 6x12, but the ability to build a bed to sleep sideways in the trailer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I never had such problems. And I've hauled 3500-4000lb boats around with it. It did fine. Was it a race car? No, but it did ok. Gas guzzler, I'll admit that.

275 hp & 275lb-ft torque. And 80% of that torque was available at only 1800rpm. (220lb-ft) But the quality of the whole car was so-so. I got tired of being hundred dollar'd to death.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have considered getting a 7x14 double axle built with the wheels inboard like the 8 foot wide trailers. Then I would have the same wheel width as my 6x12, but the ability to build a bed to sleep sideways in the trailer.
A sideways bed is one of the reasons I'm considering a 7x12. The other is I have yet to see a 7' wide trailer that does not come with factory brakes. On a 6x12 that cost extra, which brings the price to almost the 7x12 price.

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
Skied in the Rockies, summers in Kelowna BC, Winters in Arizona. I do not like you at all!!! ;) (yes, jealous!!)
Jealous...? Then I have to add 'to the mix' - I ALSO got paid for 37 years to fly airforce, then airline aircraft. :cool:

Here's a "sh!t-eating" grin pic, me in front of an RCAF T-33 back in '69...

hero pic1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and another, flying out of Saigon in '73 in a C-130E, passing 5,000 feet, holding just what you THINK they are.

hero pic4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)(y)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts